Monday, October 8, 2012

Just Grace.....

Grace is more than acceptance, more than unmerited favor....Grace is:

The lavish, opulent, raw, untamed, scandalous blessing of God - unearned, undeserved, illogical, disproportionate, poured out through Christ over every facet of your life, AND the living presence of the Creator God deep inside you, poured out through the Spirit, in a flood of euphoric joy, transcendent peace, and limitless power to be, and do, and live up to God's calling on your life.    - John Mark Comer,  Grace and Peace Sermon at Solid Rock, A Jesus Church

Saturday night in church the concept of "Grace" fell on me like a ton of bricks during worship time.  I don't remember the song, but all I remember is the part....."fall on your grace"...that got me thinking...or more accurately convicted my heart.

I was transported back to my early 20's and the starting point of my decision to follow Jesus in my life.  I remember the feeling of desparte need of God's Grace...I welcomed it fully, whole heartedly, depended on it, appreciated it, and wanted to pass that on to others. 

Sadly, I realized that feeling over time has been lost.  The loss has been a slow one; like the draining of a bucket one drop at a time until I didn't even remember the bucket ever having been full. 

My life "before" was easy to analyze...easy to see my sin as it was so blatent.  I was a selfish human being with a moral compass very far from how God's word directs us to be.  Huge changes came fast and furious...at least I feel that they did. 

Now...many years later I find myself holding back Grace from others, having bitterness in my heart and unable to let go of hurts.  I think it comes down to this word...GRACE.  I don't see myself enough as a sinner in need of God's  Grace.  My sin has always been there and I am aware and repent of some of them...but there are others...subtle and dangerous...ones I dare to even justify.  These are heavy on my heart...these I want God to free me from.

Luckily, I am not saddened but only encouraged because I know He can!

"Beautiful Things"
All this pain
I wonder if I’ll ever find my way
I wonder if my life could really change at all
All this earth
Could all that is lost ever be found
Could a garden come up from this ground at all

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

All around
Hope is springing up from this old ground
Out of chaos life is being found in You

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

You make me new, You are making me new
You make me new, You are making me new

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us




1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh, that Grace. That beautiful wonderful scandalous Grace that covers the dirt of this world, the dirt on my heart. This was a great post! I need His grace so badly and yet I hoard it all to myself. I firmly believe He gives us so much, so that we have no other choice but to give it away to others from our overflow. But, I'm still learning to give it away. I'm glad He won't give up on teaching me. Thank you for sharing your heart. :-)