Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dear Connor,




When you wanted to join little league baseball this year, I was a little nervous. I have heard horror stories of pushy parents, tired kids, and crazy schedules. However, your dad and I want you to have chances to experience all sorts of things in life and really wanted to give you this opportunity that you so desperately wanted.

Here we are coming to the end of the season, your first one. The AAA Angels don't have a great record at 3-9-1 with only a few games left, but there are a lot of great things about this team. I want to share with you a few things I have learned on this journey about you during these past few months.



First of all...it IS a crazy schedule! I have no idea how any family pulls this off with working parents and/or kids in school. I have been so grateful for the life we live as a homeschooling family and feel extremely blessed.



You really do LOVE sports. You love to play...winning is gravy, but you love to play. I am amazed that you have not let your teams "record" get you down. You have left almost every game with a smile on your face telling me how much fun it was. Good job. I believe with all my heart that God is showing you perspective on where in your life sports should be and how to keep important things in life first. People matter, and compassion for those people matter. This has been shown with both good examples and unfortunately some bad, but you have had the vision to know the difference. You have shown true sportsmanship and have risen to be a real part of a struggling team and still have a good time with those 10 other great young men. Trust me, it is easier to be on a winning team, but you have taken the high road all season.



Also, you can see and know what is true and right despite what you are being told. This is so important to me and will benefit you in too many ways to count throughout your lifetime. For you to know who you are, what you can do, and how you truly did, is such an amazing thing. To capture that at 10, makes my heart overflow with hope and gratitude for your future. You have accepted criticism where due, and shrugged off with amazing spirit what could be hurtful remarks knowing the truth in your heart. Your confidence has grown where it could easily have been broken and I am happy that I got to see this side of you. Honestly, for parents it is SO hard to see our kids go through something difficult, and though I want to pray for easy,  but it is usually under trial that our character will really show. What a strong and amazing person you are becoming! You aren't playing this game to please others, just loving the game for what it is, and I couldn't be happier for you.



So, I have LOVED being your biggest fan this season…turns out it has nothing to do with your ability or performance with a ball, bat, or glove though that has my heart cheering and screaming…”Way to go Connor”.

I love you.

Love,
Mom

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.  1Timothy 4:8   


No comments: