Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Am I Impotent?

You know I have to say, I am not a big vocabulary person. I don't understand why there has to be so many ways to say the same thing. Every time I have to say.."what does that mean?" I think why didn't they just say that in the first place??? However, once in a while an example comes along and I GET IT! Sometimes a certain word is used to get someones attention and I love when it is a word that everyone knows. After all, if no one knows what it is it isn't nearly as impactful! I am reading through a book called Ablaze by Pam Gillaspie and am really enjoying it so far. The front of the cover reads..."Igniting spiritual passion for life through reading God's word." The other day I came across this part and I just can't get it out of my mind! Here is a time where I love the English language and the way that a writer will use a word to do just that...make an impact.

Satan loves it when we think, for whatever reason, that we can't read our Bibles. Separated from the Word, we are impotent for the kingdom of God.

Well, if you are like me, your mind to went to one very common use for this word but immediately I got the picture! So, I looked it up in my copy of The All Nations Christian Home & School Dictionary and found this definition first...Lacking power to take action;helpless. I just love that one word to describe it...helpless. The other definition was second by the way.

So, I am working on reading through the bible with some of her suggestions which have been so helpful already. I realize there are times, chapters, and topics that I have just have not yet "tackled" so my goal is to get through those hard parts and become more empowered and avoid being impotent for the kingdom of God!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go, sister! Be potent!!!

Beth said...

I want to be helpful for His kingdom too. Not helpless. I'm so glad your getting into the Word more and tackling those harder areas.

Christy said...

I'll admit the title of your post threw me off for a brief second but totally makes sense. I have been thinking on the same things. I mean with the country going the way it is, peoples hearts hurting and just the world in general I desire to be useful and not stagnent and definatly not impotent.