Thursday, March 19, 2009

Are they worth it?


This has been a very eventful week taking care of inspections for the house, but we have had some interesting things happen of course! On Saturday, the boys and I were getting ready for a fundraising dinner at the church, running a little late, as usual for me. I let the dog out and when I went to bring him in just a minute later, (because it was pouring down rain) I realized he was gone and the side gate was open. Looking back, I realize now that there are certain situations that arise at certain times during a month, that I handle much better when eating chocolate! But, we piled quickly in the car to go hunt for the dog while I calmed down and explained to the boys the importance of shutting the gate. I apologized and told them I was just worried about Jake. We drove around the block, yelling out the windows and finally spotted him just on the next street. It was so darn cute, when Brody spotted him, he literally yelled...."He's alive!" Boy, he knew he was in trouble the second I got out of the car and I quickly put him in the back of the van. So, it ended well, but Connor and Brody realized from this experience even more how precious Jake is to them. Since we moved here and he is in the house all the time, they are real close to him. This week, they wrote him these letters....


Dear Jake,

You are a good dog. Your birthday is in two months. It will be fun. When you ran away I was scared. I am glad you were alive. Your birthday is coming up. You are going to be 11 and wait and see your present! Love, Connor


Dear Pus, (nickname :)

I am glad you are alive. win you ran away you are still on the best dog list. Love, Brody


Isn't that "win" just the cutest?
Connor and Brody are also learning some of the responsibility of having a pet. They both pick up his poop, make sure he has water, feed him dinner, and help take him for walks. So, I have to say having a dog is worth it...the shedding, the afternoon search parties in the rain, the commitment, and even the vet bills. Even though he drives me crazy sometimes, they think he is the best dog in the world!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet. I love the letters. Glad you found him quickly.

Christy said...

I know, I wonder that about our pets sometimes but then I wouldnt trade them for the world. :)