Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Flowers


Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. .


There are some cards on the table and even a box of candy this year...but my favorite gift is MY SPECIAL FLOWERS. They don't smell good, add color to the room or even fit in a vase, but they are mine.


I am reminded of a story shared by Aldeana at a MOPS meeting so many years ago. She told how her husband, Pastor Don wasn't one to bring her flowers, but she explained how he would often be up for hours a night trying to help her to be comfortable enough to sleep. He would arrange and rearrange her pillows trying to bring her damaged body some comfort. She explained that those were "beautiful flowers" to her.


I have to admit, I am personally responsible for never receiving flowers from my husband. Years ago, when times were a lot tougher for us, I felt them a waste. You see, Byran always wants to give me "the best" of everything and I just thought they were extravagant so I probably made him feel bad for buying them for me. Because of what I heard so many years ago, I am able to see, enjoy and appreciate the "beautiful flowers" he gives me every day...Here is just a few...


Every morning there is a fire going in my favorite room to warm me up as I start my day.

There is wood stacked right outside the garage door, so I can reload all day without getting wet or cold.

He loves to take me to out to eat and give me the night off from cooking!

I can be home all day and it is still OK to serve hot dogs for dinner!

He works hard so I can enjoy each and every day home with our kids.

He encourages me to homeschool and gives me freedom with the decisions.

He insists on a life insurance policy for himself to take care of us if the worst were to happen.

He constantly encourages me to have "me time".

He never puts expectations on me and how I spend my time.

He never uses my past mistakes against me.

He calls me to check in and tell me that he loves me and sometimes he just says, "I love being married to you."

I know I can buy flowers any time I want because he doesn't criticize the way I spend money.


So on this special Valentine's Day I want to say to him...


Thank you honey, for all the flowers you have given me that brighten so many of my days. I love being married to you!

6 comments:

Joanna Christiansen said...

Awwwww! That is so, so sweet!

Glory Laine said...

THAT was awesome.

Unknown said...

How sweet. I can totally see how the wood would be flowers. You are blessed!

Christy said...

What a great post. I am kinda the same way. When I want flowers from Trader Joes I just grab them but all the little things Dan does day in and day out for me are the "flowers" from him. Thank you also for reminding me of Aldeans sweet spirit and stories. See how her legacy continues to bless?

Julie said...

Adorable blog! Enjoyed my visit.

Julie
www.equusvilla.blogspot.com
www.equusgirl.blogspot.com

Beth said...

I love it! Did he read it too? Reminds me that I need to tell my valentine how much I appreciate the "flowers" he gives me everyday.