Wednesday, February 10, 2010

One Cool Cat!

Well, we did it....we added to our family; with an animal that is! Connor is really the one that initiated the desire for a cat. I have to say that I have always seen myself as more of a dog person, but I am really a sucker for this cat we got!


We started looking at the Humane Society a few weeks ago just to give us time to find the right one. We all fell in love with a beautiful little kitten named Maestro on our second visit, however he was already "on hold" pending his neuter surgery. So we put a second hold him and sat back and waited for a week. We would check the "stock" online almost daily and the boys really got to know almost all of the cats. I prepped the boys fully that he had a home and we would only get him if it fell through for some reason. The shelter called the day he was supposed to go home to let us know that he did so we planned another visit. They were genuinely happy that he got a home and weren't upset like I thought they would be.

That is when IT happened....the three of us just fell in love with Owen. He was the sweetest cat we ever visited with and when we went into a visiting room he would not leave us alone. He was happier walking over our laps and sitting next to us then hiding under the bench. He was playful and a total love bug. He was not what we expected our cat to look like, but I told the boys over and over again that we would just "know" and all of us did. We were discussing putting him on hold so we could bring daddy up and Brody says...."mommy I really think God wants us to have THIS cat."





So, the rest is history. Of course daddy loved him as much as we did and the next day we brought him home. It has been almost a week and I have to say that we totally scored with this cat. He is around 5 and I believe that for us, an older cat was the way to go! (Maestro was only 5 months) As we were filling out the paperwork we were a little surprised to read that the previous owner surrendered him because he would pee in the house and spray the furniture. SO, I warned the boys that if that happened, he had to go back...no deal on that one! Reading further though, we found that for whatever reason they would not offer him a litter box, so that gave me plenty of hope. Well, with the litter box, he has done fantastic, we have had no problems! We were worried about him with Jake, but they are both doing very well. He doesn't even hiss and Jake has become brave enough to look his way just a little bit.









He lets the kids just carry him around and would rather be on your lap than anywhere else. He sat with the boys and I today the whole time we did our history and bible study and the boys were in heaven! I think he might be part dog...he rolls over and loves his belly rubbed and meows at you when he has to use the litter box, wants to eat or needs water! He enjoys drinking out of Jake's bowl more than his own and as soon as Bryan's alarm goes off he is right there with him!




He is a real pleasure and we are so happy to have him. I feel like the mom of a newborn with the camera, but I will control myself and only post a few:)

2 comments:

Joanna Christiansen said...

What a beautiful cat with a great personality! I'm happy for you guys. I have always loved cats. Our cat that we had for years and years died last year and I was ready to be done with cats for a long time but then we inherited my grandma's cat and I wasn't real excited about it, but couldn't send her away. Now we love this cat so much! She gets carried around by Elijah just like yours and sleeps with him and is always good with the kids and sitting on one of us. She is very sweet. So glad we took her in!

Christy said...

oh hes soooo cute! Hes kinda like our Milo. So trusting and the best personality ever. We LOVE dogs as well but sometimes cats just rock too! Glad your boys love him.