Thursday, May 20, 2010

Saved by the Frog!!


Here he is...the one we got to see! Success! They also found some eggs, but I didn't get a picture!

Last week we (or most likely I) were having a "not so good" day for many reasons. Most of them little things adding up to nothing. Little did I know that our day would be saved with our first outing with our new nature study group! A new friend of mine runs this great website and organizes field trips and monthly nature outings for the homeschool community. I was so excited to find these trips because I have wanted to add these to our homeschooling experience but haven't yet for many reasons. I didn't feel safe going out with just the boys and don't know where to go just to name a few!

So, we headed off to Minto Brown park with our nature journals and backpacks to learn all about frogs and toads! We had such a great time and here is some of what the boys told me they learned...


Frogs have smooth skin and toads have bumpy skin
Some don't have any lungs and some are poisonous
The life of a frog..tadpole, back legs, front legs...Frog!
The frog soaks up pollution through it's skin if it is in the water

We got some great exercise hiking to a pond and were even lucky to see one little frog in the water! It was a great day and we had a lot of fun with friends and enjoying God's creation. We can't wait to do more and I am so grateful I found it!




Here is the pollution experiment..

Here is Brody exploring....

And here is Connor exploring the water....

2 comments:

Christy said...

OK we (I) had a not so good week too! Sorry yours was rough friend. Glad it ended on a better note though.

momaof4 said...

What FUN! I LOVE frogs. Might have to venture down and look for some :) Praying this week is better friend.