Saturday, July 17, 2010

To Reward or Not to Reward?


I can honestly that I have not made a firm decision on where I stand with rewarding my kids. However I can say that we have had a successful run over the last few weeks! During my visit with my friend Marianne in California...we decided to try something we read about in a magazine. We are using the same concept but different details. The idea is that each child gets a jar and earns GEMS (i.e. marbles, rocks) for doing what is asked of them. When the jar is filled, ( I picked 100) then they get a reward. I sat down with Connor and Brody and made a reward list and this is what they came up...


1) A Webkinz
2) A Date night with mom or dad
3) Double allowance for that week
4) Gift Card to Dairy Queen

For me, a challenge has been the constant reminding them of the chores they are responsible for. Both of them are pretty good workers and do a good job getting their chores done, but I want them to take initiative. So, we made up a new chore list with some added responsibilities and noted which chores are daily, weekly and as needed. I assigned a 1 gem value to all daily chores and 2 to weekly. The way to earn the gems is to do these chores on their own without me telling them. They can also earn gems in many other ways such as showing kindness, or being helpful and kind. However, at the same time, gems can be taken away. IF I have to ask them to do a chore, the appropriate amount of gems is removed from the jar and the chore still has to be done.


They both really enjoyed the tangible rewards and loved watching their jars fill up. It took a while to get over them (mostly Connor) worrying about what color he was getting and wanting to keep it even! (so much like me....poor kid) All in all it went real well. They would do their chores without being asked and only lost a couple over our first trial run. They would come up to me and say things such as, "mommy, can I dust?" which was pretty fun to hear! When they really got close they would wake up early and I would hear them cleaning them rooms! One morning I had a cute little face leaning over me in bed whispering, "where is the dusting stuff?" Ok, that was a little annoying but they were excited!


They chose a Webkinz for their first prize and were so excited to earn it! Connor got his on Friday morning and Brody had to wait until late in the afternoon for his. They kept thanking me over and over again and were so happy!




We are definitely going to try this again...it was fun!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like that idea. And I smiled at getting woken up and asked where the dusting stuff is.

Christy said...

I started doing this a couple years ago with regards to school. When they have a great day filled with completed work, no arguing or bickering etc. they get to add marbles to their jar. When the marbles are gone they get to pick a prize from the box (little things I grab when I am out that I know they will LOVE) As far as chores go. I have them listed on the side of the fridge. If they do whats on their without being nagged and prodded they get paid on the 1st and the 15th just like mom and dad. They get paid $1 a day for Monday-Friday. They get weekends to chill. They tithe 10% each month to missions and then they usually save for things or etc. It has worked great so far in teaching them to think on their own to get things done. If we are out and they want something and have money saved they know they cant buy it. :)

Beth said...

I'm all caught up on your blog. I'm glad the rewards are going well.