Monday, October 13, 2008

Bottle Rocket Science

OK, I have to admit, I stink at Science!!! I have been taking the easy way out with our curriculum. I flipped the extra bucks to have a DVD of all the science experiments scheduled throughout the year. So, basically you watch this guy "do" all the experiments! Well, we were watching the video on Friday, just like the log says. However, I realized that by watching them, it was making me totally lazy to actually perform any myself. So I changed our plan a few months ago, and started planning a few of them throughout the week then watching the little clips on Friday. I have to say we have had a few freak incidents of success. I actually grew mold on wet bread, although it took 2 more days than they told me it would. We also successfully knocked over a tower of sugar cubes that soaked up red water! The boys were so excited especially after some of our failed experiments like sprouting beans. So today, I jumped right in on a Monday and planned to make a rocket balloon! The antcipation was growing all morning and Connor and Brody worked through the school day just to get to the fun part!






So, I pulled out all the required items, set up the scence and then went to simply blow up the balloon. I'm not sure what kind of balloon that is, but trust me is not one that blows up with the usual method of a human blowing air in the hole! As I sensed the excitement leaving the school room, I told Connor to run and get another balloon! That one did expand when blowing air into it as it should and we and hooked it right up to our perfectly made contraption. Brody went to pull the plug and of course it went nowhere! Leave it to the brains of my youngest to suggest an air pump for the original balloon still trying to blow life into this experiment! So, out to the garage we go, find the pump and after many failed attempts, I successfully inflate the balloon! Afer furiously trying to attach the clip to keep the air in, we are ready to give it a go. I have to say God in heaven must of been feeling sorry for me or more for my boys because it worked! That balloon shot across the string just like it was supposed to. So, after 3 turns of watching our miracle machine in action, the boys were off playing with the other balloon that failed with our rocket. They spent a complete hour blowing air into it and watching it fly! Then after I tied it, they played with it for another hour. So, all was not lost and I hope and pray they have some very important life long lessons learned. For instance...



Something about how air moves things which was the original objective

We all can't be good at everything

Working together really is better

Mommy might be lame in Science but she is not a quitter

Sometimes the most fun can be found in our failed attempts at success








That is Connor's "we did it" celebration! All was worth it! Later on this week I think I will attempt the Wind Winch, wish me luck.....I'm not sure why but I think I will need it!

3 comments:

Christy said...

eeewwwww, scinec is my least favorite thing as well. I usually try and get Dan to do it when he is home cause he loves it! More powere to him right? :) I am so excited to start reading your blog. Miss you.

Christy said...

ooppss, after reading my post I guess spelling isnt my favorite either. ;) I meant "science"

Unknown said...

Oh, my gosh - I totally love the list of lessons learned from the experiment. What a great outcome! Thanks for sharing your learning adventure.
And, by the way, Connor looks so much older!!! Has it only been a little over a year?