Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Me... Spontaneous?

Yes, it is true. I have branched out and decided yesterday that the boys and I would "fly in our pants" (as Connor would say). We decided to ditch school, (we actually did Math because it is the hardest to make up) and go to the Pumpkin Patch! Yes, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful crisp and cool fall day. I am nervous about the weather so I decided that we should take advantage of every sunny day that we can. The people here in Oregon carry on everything in the rain and nothing is ever cancelled, but the way I figure it we are new here, and we still melt so what the hec!
We went to Bauman Farms in Gervais Oregon and it was a whole lot of fun! We practically had the place to ourselves, one major advantage of home schooling, and the boys had a blast! I have to say it was not like the pumpkin patch experiences we had in California. There was a lot more to do like a corn maze (more on that later) and a barn swing and an obstacle course! They had an animal barn which was fun and they had one sheep which sealed the deal for our little Brody about it being the best ever!
So, I was most excited about the corn maze, not remembering ever being in one myself and as we were running to the entrance heard comments like..."this is so cool", "this is the best ever", "look there it is, THE corn maze". The boys quickly appointed Connor to take the lead, which was probably a good call since mommy can't get anywhere without Lola our GPS, and off we went! We did stop for a photography lesson as I wanted a picture with me in it to capture our fun day and I figured what a great place to start! Of course I checked my watch and was having fun for about 4 minutes. I can't believe that there are NO signs for us parents that don't like to feel lost and confused! After about 10 minutes, we decided to give Brody a chance to get us out, all the while, mommy is pretending to have it all together and only feeling a little out of control! As you can figure out by my presence on my blog, we did manage to find our way out. After 18 minutes on our adventure these were some of the after comments..."I hate the corn maze", "that is crazy", "that was no fun", and "I don't ever want to go back in there"!

I couldn't help but relate to my real life a little bit right now. Sometimes I feel I am just winding down a path that God has sent us on here in Oregon, not clearly seeing the signs, and sometimes feeling overwhelmed and lost, but trying to have fun along the way. Some people love that kind of adventure but I have never been one to enjoy life outside my comfort zone. However, when we did get out without any emergency assistance, I was able to look back and say, that was a little fun! I am grateful that I can trust in God and His plan for our future and hopefully one of His goals for me is a little more spontaneity!
The day ended with fresh apples, yummy apple cider and even apple cider doughnuts!
Since daddy missed the fun, we brought him a Marionberry pie and I know today I was blessed beyond measure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you that you stepped out that way! And congrats on surviving the corn maze.

So funny - if Yucaipa is home to an average pumpkin patch, you moved up to above average and I am now living in the flunkie world of pumpkin patches where they just set up hay bales in K-Mart parking lots...

Glad you had so much fun and thanks for writing about it!

Christy said...

yay for stepping out of your box! Isn't God good!!! I cant tell you how much we are loving that you have a blog. Morgan sends the boys her love and wants to come visit! We could just bring school with us! :)

Joanna Christiansen said...

Sounds like a good day! I loved seeing you in the picture. I like your new hair color.