Monday, January 19, 2009

Dragons, Dungeons, and Castles...OH MY!

Wow, did we have fun today! We "flew in our pants" as Connor would say (his version of flying by the seat of our pants!) and spent the morning doing an art lesson and studying the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. It was a great morning and fun to go off course for a change. After all it was a holiday, we realized!

I found this art lesson through a friend's blog (thanks Joanna) that belongs to an art teacher, Ms. Julie! She teaches art in La Quinta California and is a homeschool mom! It just so happens, that we read a great book last week called, The Sword in the Tree that took place in the time of King Arthur and the knights of the round table. So, when I saw this on her blog, we ran with it and the boys were so proud of their dragons! I think they did very well too!


She had step by step drawing instructions and a lot of ideas for a lesson which we did also. We read about Raphael and looked at some of his paintings including St. George and the Dragon. We have this wonderful fairy tale in our Book of Virtues so the boys were already interested!

She gave me permission to post her link and I would highly recommend those with kids take a minute and check it out! I even drew a dragon myself. Brody didn't think it was that good, but truly I think he was just very proud of his own work! She has some great stuff on there and even posted a new project today!



http://msjuliesartschool.blogspot.com/




Have fun and maybe you too can find time to fly in your pants!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like to fly in my pants, already. Remember who you gave the unschool book to, after all?

Those dragon pictures are really exceptional - so great!

How fun, you make homeschool look so so so wonderful!

Unknown said...

Oh wow!!! Those sure are great dragons! You should have posted your dragon too. Please let the boys know that Ms. Julie was very impressed.

Joanna Christiansen said...

Julie has great lessons I am so glad you are using them! I also admire how much more you are "flying by the seat of your pants" now. I know that is out of your comfort zone. The dragons look really great!

Beth said...

Great pictures. You really do some fun stuff with your boys! I hope my homeschooling efforts can measure up to yours.

IE Mommy Blogger said...

These are great dragons. Great job boys! I am truly impressed. Thanks for the tip on the site, I'll have to check it out for the twins...I am sure they'll love doing projects like these.