Monday, October 12, 2009

I just KNEW this day would come!

I knew it would come and it did. I dreaded it, and although I thought it would be different...it wasn't.


I have to go back to a math lesson I had with Connor 2 years ago when he was in first grade. Yes, you heard it right...1st grade and I struggled!! Actually, I couldn't even figure out a way to gracefully bluff my way through, and Connor knew it. We had been learning 3 different ways to add once we get over 10 and I did great. I was actually a little proud of myself (see what I get) for being able to explain it because it made sense and it is how I process the numbers ever so feebly in my own brain. Well, then came the subtraction and that was a different story. I couldn't explain how I do it and I was really struggling to understand how they were teaching it. Connor loves telling the story, because he got it even though I couldn't. I actually handed him the teacher manual and he proceeded to tell me something like this. "Yah, mom...I get it 13-8 is 5 because 10 +3 is 13". He was number bonding and making tens just like they wanted him to and he did every problem like they wanted and I was just relieved. However, I completely remember thinking that I am going to have to "get" this to teach it to Brod one day, I am in no way off the hook. Well, today it came!


As I was preparing on Sunday, I really thought I got it this time, I even practiced...seriously. Now, I know this is 1st grade math...just don't judge me:) So, today we sat down and it happened all over again. I just couldn't work through the problems one of the ways they were teaching. Luckily for me there is 2 other ways they encourage and both Brody and I got in sync with one in particular and it went like this instead....


13-8......You can't take 8 from 3, so take 8 from the 10 and add the 2 numbers you have left for your answer. VOILLA! He jumped on that and we were writing them a certain way crossing out the 8 and the 1 and writing the 2 underneath then throwing in a plus sign....then the light went off and he did it. I have to say I have mixed emotions. I am thrilled that we both figured out how to get through the lessons, but I feel defeated to work it out "making tens" in subtraction.


Then to top it off the same day Connor begins multiplying into the hundreds and thousands! Now, there has not been a lesson that he has not been able to just get and do. He rarely needs anything explained twice but today of all days, I heard words I have not heard from him with a math book in front of him...."Mom, I just don't get it"! Wow, that was bad timing for me! Well, we struggled through the lesson and I said to myself we will just practice more tomorrow.

Well, now as I finish this post tomorrow is here and both kids did amazing today! They do both "get it" and worked through their leson today applying what they "learned" yesterday with no problems at all! God is good!

Oh yah to top it off yesterday morning I was reading from "Home Education" on arithmetic by Charlotte Mason and read this....

"There is no one subject in which good teaching effects more, as there is none in which slovenly teaching has more mischievous results".

Seriously, how is that for timing?...There goes my teacher of the year award...AGAIN!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great. We're both out of the award. I am right there with you. We are struggling with math over here. Especially me. Ugh.

Beth said...

Suzie you are so great. I love your honesty. You should be very proud of how well your boys are doing. They are such intelligent boys. I remember you telling me about that lesson 2 years ago. I'm thankful for teaching textbooks. Sarah asked me about a problem yesterday. I looked at it and had no clue how to explain it. So she got out the CD-Rom and she got it. Such a great teaching tool.