Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mom- Your engine is making an explosion!

These are the words I heard last night as we got in the car after bible study from my dear sweet Brody. We were already driving and I saw no signs of anything bad, so I asked him what the hec he was talking about. He said..."remember mom, we learned that when you start your car, it is like making an explosion?" Connor backed him up and they proceeded tell me details from a science lesson over a year ago! It was such a great moment for me. Not only did it reinforce to me that they are learning in the homeschool environment we are providing for them, but it was also good for me another way. Sometimes, I want them to tell me what they are learning in the form of narration. Because they are young, and we are learning this technique together, I sometimes feel that they aren't giving back the right information or in the right amount. It just helped to reinforce that they are getting what they need at the time and that things are being planted that will come up at times when they might need or want it. For instance, over a year later! Their minds are incredible!

Also, yesterday and even better...Brody "got it" in a much important area of life. He had lied to me about something and I knew it. I had to work pretty hard to reach his heart on this one, but when I did, I knew that too! It is such a beautiful moment for me to experience a time like this. He felt truly bad and knew in his heart it was the wrong thing to do. His apology was real and sincere and then he just climbed on my lap for a few minutes which was priceless! My little boy is growing up!