Wednesday, November 3, 2010

End of the Season

Saturday marked the end of our first organized sports season. I have to say we went out with a great big bang for a few reasons.

I was dreading our last game as it was against an undefeated team, it was the earliest game time at 8:30 in the morning and it was supposed to be pouring down rain. The hardest part though about the season ending is that we were just starting to look like a team! All the parents were talking on the sidelines about how the last few games looked like real games and were quite enjoyable. The coaches did an amazing job through the season and they brought the kids a far way from the chaos that was there is in the begining. Both Connor and Brody felt like it was just getting started and were sad to see it end.


Connor made some huge improvements in the last few games pulling some flags which he really tried hard to do. More important though, he got over a fear he had of making a mistake and really got into the games. Here is the best action shot I got the whole season. He actually got this kids flag and as you can see had to work really hard for it, he is on the ground turned the other way! It was very exciting.





Brody never did get a flag and he wanted to so bad, but he did get to carry the ball a time or two and seemed content. They both had great attitudes and were excited about each and every game win or loose.






Overall we had a great experience with Upward Sports and they are both already making plans to sign up next year. I talked to them about other sports but there is nothing else they want to play which is OK with me;)


Back to Saturday....I believe in the first 30 seconds the other team scored a touchdown and then quickly got another and let's just say it wasn't looking good. However, they played hard and actually came back to win it with an ending score of 26-22! It was a very proud moment, more than it probably should of been and that "soccer mom" in me reared a tiny part of her ugly head. I know that she exists and do my best to control her though.

To cap off a fun season, something happened at the last Star Ceremony that I am most proud of. Both Connor and Brody earned the hardest star to get and that was the "Christ-likeness" star. When they called them up the team mates shouted things like.."yeah for the brothers". The assistant coach explained that they earned the stars for the way they looked out for and treated each other all season. That brought tears to my eyes and I was very excited that their relationship was honored in this way and that others recognized it. What a wonderful thing to happen!


So, next year I am sure we will be out there again. Because of their age, they will be separated on different teams which will be an interesting factor to see played out. I will be there with my fancy new sport brella, my new folding chair, a lot of my regular self and what the hec...I'm sure I will unleash "Soccer Mom Suzie" once in awhile. After all, that is MY boys out there!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woo-hoo! Yay for a good season.
How wonderful about the award they got!