Monday, December 8, 2008

Bon Appetit!

I don't want to give to much history here, so let's just say for the record that I have not made the best decisions when it has come to meal times and getting Connor and Brody to try new things. I could go on and on with the valid reasons why I have made the decisions I have, but what really matters is that we decided to make some changes around here.

I have to say that tonight was a huge milestone for us in the Doeren household. I made dinner, put a little of everything I made on all 4 plates and proceeded through an entire meal without setting a timer, hearing a complaint, or threatening any number of things to change the situation to my favor. In reality, my little ears actually heard from my dear sweet youngest child these words I will never forget..."mommy I want more meatloaf." Let's just say that I have used this move to Oregon as a time of change and have with only a few exceptions been serving the kids what we eat. I have forced them to eat what I felt was a good representation of something new and not once have they asked for more. Once Connor did gag a little back into his plate and Brody told me that one of my meals was "humongous disgusting" but we have moved forward anyway! I have to say they have been handling it pretty good overall though. Tonight, poor Connor had a look on his face like it was one of the yuckiest things he has ever put in his mouth, but he ate all that I put on his plate, (drowned in A-1) without complaining! He even managed to say that he likes it as long it is soaked in the overpowering taste of A-1...I can handle that.

I have explained to the kids that the reason that I am really standing on "my high mother ground" on this point is not because they won't grow or be healthy, it is not an obedience issue, nor a power trip on my part. The real reason is the attitude of ungratefulness that I noticed when a plate full of food was put before them. Now, I know I am not even in the ranks of a "good cook" but some examples are real basic things like macaroni and cheese, chicken, turkey breast, and rice. I am still OK with them having things they don't like, we all do, but to not eat some of these real basic things became unacceptable for that reason. I actually used this line before, probably not the highlight of my mothering career...
"If you want to taste something really gross, I can serve up some dog poop, baked chicken is not gross!"

I was thinking of an apple tree I saw on a recent drive through the country. It was one huge apple tree in the yard of a small house, it wasn't part of an orchard, it was just there remarkably close to the road. I noticed that around the tree on the ground rotting away laid more apples than I could even count...just left there. At that moment, I realized how easy it is to take for granted what we have in abundance. I wish I could of taken a picture but on my return trip I was unable to locate it, so it will remain in my mind only.

I don't want them to take our full refrigerator, freezer, and pantry for granted anymore. I realized how blessed I am to be able to offer them all this food and so many choices. I know there are mothers around the world unable to meet this most basic physical need for their kids and I knew we had to do better.

I'm sure you are wondering what else was on the magic plate....Turkey Meatloaf, Baked Potato, Applesauce and Corn!
Enjoy your next meal!

2 comments:

Christy said...

thanks for the great post and the reminder. I am totally blessed and made aware that I dont need to run to the store as often as I do and that what is in the freezer will be more than enough. It makes me very sensitive to the moms like you said who cant provide even the most basic needs for their kids and how important it is to teach our kids to be greatful for what they have. Preach on sister. Oh and for the record I have offered to serve poop as well. :)

Beth said...

Yeah Suzie! I'm glad it was a good dinner time for you. That is a milestone to remember. Hopefully it will just get better from here.