Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Goals

I woke up this morning already disappointed in the way our Christmas season is going so far. Every year I have great plans and ideas but they never seem to leave the actual planning stage! I decided to write them down this year in the hopes that it will help me to be more accountable to myself and more focused.....

Play more Christmas music - Why don't I do this? I don't have any CD's but one that I don't really like, and I am not one to turn on the radio so I just forget. My poor boys don't know some of the best traditional music, but hopefully this year......

Participate in Advent - Now I know I am already late on this one, (learned that from Teri's blog) it really snuck up on me! My cousin Ann has sent me some information and I am going to do what I can. I did read yesterday some about it but don't have the wreath....that will not discourage me...late and unprepared but we will move forward!

Bake more treats - My friend Christy sent me this great e-mail with all these great recipes and I am determined to try some of them!

Pray for our friends and family - I have heard this great idea to collect all the Christmas cards and spend time as a family when you pray focusing on each one of them. I like this idea because they are cards from people I am real close to and pray for more often, but some of them are people I am only in touch with once or twice a year and what better gift can we offer them but to lift them up in prayer? This one really needs to happen this year!

Make ornaments & crafts - I have wanted Connor and Brody to make ornaments to give away for two years now, it hasn't happened either. Since I am not in my usual homeschool group, I need to come up with a craft or two this year on my own!

Watch a Christmas special with the boys- Last night we saw that Rudolph was playing and we didn't know it until it was to late. We want them to enjoy some of those cute shows we enjoyed as kids, but I always seem to miss them. If anyone catches them coming on, let me know OK???

Well, there was more, but in the hopes of actually making this a success, I need to stop here! I hope that no matter what we can all keep the focus of Christmas real and on Jesus. Some of this stuff is just for fun, I know that and hopefully as I work through my list, I will prioritize those things first that focus on the birth of our Savior!
Now I'm off to see what I can do! Happy planning to all of you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Of the whole list, learning about and celebrating Advent really is cool since it all focuses on opening our hearts to be ready for Jesus! And, of course, you don't have to have candles to do that - but it is nice.
Go buy some DVDs of the Christmas specials (Target usually carries them) and then you don't have to know the schedule - OR watch the commercials!
And, finally, we did the "pray for the senders of the cards" thing and it was nice. But we did it AFTER Christmas. I took the cards down, put them in a basket and that was our centerpiece at the table (this was not my idea, I read it in a book). We'd pray for one family per night and then got rid of the card 'til the basket was empty.
If I sound too advice-y, please ignore me. If I sound helpful and encouraging, that's what I was going for! Love you, and your ideas!

Christy said...

your so cute! Its ok cause really you dont want to do EVERYTHING! Your head will pop off my friend. I have a better idea are you ready?

1. Turn on your computer and go to ksgn.com Its a christian radio station that plays all christmas music. Ok, so turn it waaaaay up.

2. Then pull out the pillsbury sugar cookie dough that is already made for you and costs $3 at the store. Let the boys roll it out and stamp out cookies to their hearts content while you make hot cocoa with marshmellows.

3. While the cookies bake drink your hot cocoa and get out some sprinkles and m & m's to top off the cookies.

4. Let the boys decorate the cookies and play as much as they want all the while learning all the Christmas music that is playing in the background.

Ok last but not least, take pictures of this and post so we Morgan and I can see!! ;) We love you and think you are a GREAT mom. Just remember; simple is good. :)