Friday, June 12, 2009

Old Story - New eyes

This week the boys and I were reading the story of Daniel in the lions den through a devotional book that we use through our school program. So many people know this story, it truly is one of the more "famous" ones. Even if you don't go to church or read the bible to much, you probably know this one. Well, this week a VERY important part jumped out at me. It is funny how many times I have read this story, how I can repeat this story, yet how I have at the same time failed to connect what I think is a very important part.

However, what I do know about God assures me that my "ahahah" came just when I need it whether I can see that or not:)

Anyway, the focus in this reading was on the angel! Even though I knew there was an angel in the story, for some reason I always assumed God controlled the lions similar to how he brought them to the ark..by being God and powerful and almighty and able to do anything. The story clearly states though (good news version)...Daniel telling King Darius; "God sent his angel to shut the mouths of the lions so that they would not hurt me." It had us picture the lions clearly wanting to get to Daniel, it showed them being what they are..hunters...but physically unable to act. It was different than most of the kids versions you usually see with Daniel cuddled up and friendly with the lions and it truly made me see this story in a new way.

It reminds me that God is powerful, almighty and able to do anything, and that He will also use others (people and angels) to accomplish what He wants done. It shows me a new strength in Daniel when I imagine him sitting through the night with the lions maybe not all nice and friendly, but pacing and frustrated with their mouths sealed shut wanting to eat him. It reminds me that even though we are saved from many bad things happening it doesn't mean those things aren't still there..wanting to.

It was a new way for me to think about it.....

No comments: