Thursday, September 17, 2009

CB's School House First Field Trip

This week we went our first big field trip of the year and we had a great time. The famous Oregon Garden had an event specifically set up for homeschool families and although I didn't know what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would also go along great with our botany study that we are doing this year. They had stations set up around the facility with hands on learning experiences and a "passport book" to guide them through. Brody said his favorite part was finding a "furry plant" in the greenhouse and Connor's favorite was also the tropical greenhouse, but he liked the spiky plant. They were given a sheet and had to find plants by number based on clues. They also enjoyed seeing a bullfrog tadpole that had already grown feet up close, and I have to say that was pretty fun for me too! The weather literally could not of been better and it was a beautiful day! Here are some pictures from our wonderful day!
This was at the entrance..we took a new friend of ours with us, her name is Aldine. She loves flowers and was excited to go and she told me later she took 167 pictures! She out shot me, that is for sure:) Of course, I won't mention how she went out on her own and went down a hill into the rose garden and got stuck. After she failed to make our meeting time, I had to send park volunteers to find her. Luckily she found a nice family to bring her back...but I won't mention that:)
Here is the boys working on getting their passports filled in.

This was a great experiment blowing bubbles through wood using the tubes that carry water to the plant!



This was called "The Living Wall"...totally cool!


This was the Oak Garden part of the property, some amazingly beautiful oak trees to view.



Connor and Brody were participating in setting up a worm composting bin. EEEWWW! I want one!
Overall....I give us an A+ for the day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a neat place! Glad you went. How did you meet Aldine? Good you didn't mention her getting stranded.

Beth said...

How fun! It looks beautiful.