Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The First Day of School 2009-10




I have to say...after a few practice runs last week, I expected today to be much harder than it turned out to be!


We all had a great first official day of school! Connor said that it was easier than he thought it would be and Brody said it was harder, but I'm not sure where he got that! He breezed through everything and we kept it light anyway!


I made the boys one of their favorite breakfasts of french toast (which probably won't last) and we started right on time, (which probably won't last)! We managed to get everything done that I planned (which probably won't last) and even did a special activity making a water clock (which might last). We are finishing up a unit on ancient Egypt (we were halfway through our curriculum at the end of the last school year) and today we made our own water clock to demonstrate how one worked. They really liked this activity and it was pretty fascinating if I do say so myself!


It takes me a few weeks to get into a good routine and learn my way around all my manuals and their books, but it did go smooth today. I "stole" an idea from another homeschool mom and made them some "break" or recess cards and they were very excited about this concept. I gave them each two cards...one worth a 10 minute break and one worth a 15 minute break. I told them they could turn them in whenever they wanted during our school day and that they would be replenished each morning. They felt so empowered to plan their free time and were real excited. I had no problem getting them to come inside when break time was over....

which probably won't last:)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the "which probably won't last." Like everything with parenting, the constant change is a challenge for me.
We both have 1st and 3rd graders! You are my support group!

Beth said...

Suzie, what an interesting experiment of the water clock. Sounds like a good first day to start off your year. I'm glad the boys liked the "break" cards. Maybe that one will last =)