Tuesday, September 1, 2009

School Plan

Well, all the books are in and the kids are excited! (although Brody is pretending to be tough and saying, "school is boring") We all love getting those boxes in! I am thrilled to see them excited over the years books instead of the years fashions or school clothes! Our favorite school clothes are the comfy ones with holes that we get to wear on a day we don't have to leave the house!! We have been catching up on some history and reviewing some math just trying to get used to doing some work again...I think that will prove valuable next week!





















So, every year I plan to do better with a few areas, usually the electives thank goodness!

Anyway, if the boys want, I have access to lots of art projects. I always shoot out of the gate in this area and then lag behind as the year goes on. But I do have plans here..to have some fun and explore their creative side, however hard it is to find:)



I scored the entire Vox, Meet the Masters set on homeschoolclassifieds.com! These are fun CD's on famous composers that narrate parts of their lives and combine some of their most famous pieces throughout. There is just enough music and talking to keep the boys interested and when we start one they will listen to it non stop! So, if I bomb with any other music plans, this will go a long way and now I have all 18 of them!


I also ordered a fun deal called Typing Instructor for kids and the boys are already loving that one! It is really cute and they doing well with it! Connor initially showed the interest to learn to type and I am all for that! They learn a few letters at a time and play games and move to the next level to take over a castle, I would highly recommend it!



So far though the biggest hit is called Mathtacular. We just got the second one with our recent order at Sonlight and Connor and Brody have learned SO much from this. Now usually, I am not a big advocate of learning at an early age through a video, but this is a huge exception for me! I have to warn the average individual that if these would be rated, they would be below G. Now, what would that be??? There is a huge advantage of not allowing a lot of entertainment through TV or movies....my boys think it is a huge privilege to watch this and beg for just a few more minutes!! They are highly entertained by Justin and honest to God they were walking through Wal Mart the other day with new flip flops in hand having a quite intelligent discussion on if their new shoes were congruent or simply similar! It was darn cute if I do say so myself!





We are sticking with Sonlight Language Arts and Core (History and Bible) and Singapore Math for the year. We will also be hitting back to our Botany study which we are excited about. I splurged on the notebooks the company made to help keep it flowing better, plus it had a schedule which is much better for me!







































I designed the kids new planners to lay out their weeks which makes them feel very independent and grown up! So, I think we will be ready to start full swing next week when all of Salem goes back to school! I am praying for a good year!

2 comments:

Joanna Christiansen said...

Sounds like a great year! I am always impressed with your planning! Those music CDS sound wonderful!

Unknown said...

How exciting!
We use the same CDs for Joseph! (You oughtta hear the stuff we have for Cayna --- it actually makes the kids laugh!) But I'm glad to hear your boys like them, it's a good endorsement. So far we've only listened to one of the Masters and they liked it.
I enjoy hearing what you're doing with homeschool - it's fun!