Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Let's see....we have been here just a few months and now that the inside is mostly done, my eye can't help but focus on what is going on outside and let me tell you folks...it is not pretty! I am trying to be realistic on a time frame and honestly not much will probably get done this year around here. However we do have one thing we are trying to address right now, but since I can't start with the bad or the ugly so here is the GOOD first!

I love to watch the sun rise and the sun set, in Yucaipa we had view of some amazing sunsets from our house. The part of this house with the view had been boarded up so long, I wasn't sure what I would be able to see. The first thing I had to do though was get up early enough to even have a chance and now that I got that part down...I have been blessed with some amazing views. It is different though because I have to look through the trees this time, and it gives me a different perspective. I am not even able to see the sun really set because to that side of us is 2 acres of wooded "forest" and it is totally hidden in the trees. I got this shot the other morning....definitely, without a doubt.....GOOD!





Now, there are some bad things around here too! The yellow jackets are the most annoying little boogers out here this time of year, and they are plentiful let me tell you. I have this image of me relaxing on my front porch with a book and after about 3 minutes, they appear. So far, no one has been stung here, they have even landed us but let's just say they can ruin the mood! So, we got some of these nifty little traps and boy do they catch them! The first time I put one up we had over 20 in there in just a couple of hours! After reading the directions I have learned that IF we get them out the first few warm days of the year, we have a good chance of trapping the queen looking for a nest and keeping the property more clear of these stinging machines. The boys and I have big plans already next year and already have a trap ready in case they aren't in the stores soon enough for us! They come with the heat so it will only be a little longer!







The UGLY!
Gophers...absolutely destructive! Our entire property is covered with holes and it is getting worse by the day. A few holes has turned into literally hundreds and they have now invaded both sides of the house. We tried gas bombs, they pushed them out. We tried bait...no visible signs of working. Today, we bought traps. They are Bryan's responsibility and I am pretending it isn't happening. Definitely on my list to ask God about!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sunrise picture is beautiful. So sorry about the wasps - glad you have a plan. As for the gophers... yikes! What a pain.

Beth said...

I just caught up on your blog. I love all the pictures you post, and the details that somehow we forget to talk about during our phone conversations. Miss you guys!