Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Heart of a Servant




I am so incredibly proud of my Brody. He has worked SO hard over the past few weeks and I have been witness to a huge attitude change in his life.


It started a few weeks ago....we were out running errands with Aldine. She is a friend of ours that lives at Wilson House. She is unable to drive because of her disability which has her bound to a wheelchair so we take her out a few times a month to run errands with her. We were taking her home, carrying in all sorts of things and I was pushing her when I asked Brody to get the door to let us in. He was upset because Connor got to carry something bigger than him and so he made up an excuse about not having a hand to help. He did the same thing moments later when we arrived at her room. I am always working with my boys to open doors for people, especially women and anyone with their arms full and certainly anyone in a wheelchair!


After getting her settled, I had a long talk with Brody about being a servant to others and being helpful to those we care about and to strangers. I told him I was a little saddened to see him act so selfishly.


I also had to sit back and realize my part. By habit, I usually ask Connor to help by opening those doors, and doing all sorts of other small tasks for me. I'm sure it just has to do with him being the oldest. Well, I realize that this has not been helpful for Brody to see how significant he CAN be and what he can do. So, that day I started consciously asking him to do little things and most of the time it was received very well.


I have to say...I hardly recognize this kid! Just tonight as one example, he heard Connor mention that he left his book out in the living room and he bolted on his own and went and got it for him. Actually, I don't think a day has gone by that he has not jumped up and done something for one of us without being asked to do so. He has shown us how thoughtful and caring he truly is and I love that he is sharing this side of him! God has blessed him with so many wonderful gifts and I love being a small part of nuturing those in him. What an awesome journey I am on with him each and every day!

2 comments:

Christy said...

thats great! Good boy! We always teach the girls to open the doors for others as well and the sad thing is people are surprised when a kid does that for them.

Unknown said...

I love how teachable your boys are - and that you make the most of opportunities to encourage them and keep them going in the right direction.