Monday, March 22, 2010

Language Arts Laughs!

I just have to report a few funny things going around here during school hours!

Connor was learning about adverbs last week and had a writing assignment to write some sentences using them and this is my favorite...

My mom helps me with my schoolwork goodly.

This just made me chuckle, doesn't sound right to me. Honestly, that day during our read aloud time of Red Sails to Capri, there it was again used in a sentence. After some quick computer research looks like it is a word, though obviously not used often these days, and I don't think it should be used as an adverb. (Mom, I'm sure you will advise me more on this!) I am thrilled however that he sees my help as a positive thing!

Brody is really fun to do language arts with as well. In order to keep him interested, I try to put each spelling word when used in a sentence in some sort of sheep context! Not easy, but definitely keeps me on my toes! He will write about sheep in any way and any time that he can. When studying homonyms last week, he had to write a sentence for 4 different ones. Here is what he came up with...

know - I know I want more sheep.
no - No, Sheepie is mine.
their - Their sheep are running.
there - There were a lot of sheep.

As long as he gets it, I don't care how he gets it! Now, that is tailoring an education!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, that is some FABULOUS tailoring! Where else would a language arts program focus exclusively on sheep? I love it!

The Turkington Family said...

Love love love it! This is exactly the reason we homeshool!

Christy said...

OK can you come HS my kids? Seriously, you do the best job. I read your blog and think oh man what a gift you have. Me? not so much, more doing it out of obedience to the Lord even though I dont feel qualified. I need to come sit in on your class. :)