Thursday, March 4, 2010

It really is THAT good!

I have heard from many people how good this book was and we finally read it!! I know they made a movie a while back and maybe one day we will tackle that, but it can't be as good. Are they ever really? We have found the book is always better and the few that we have watched after we read have fallen way short of our expectations; Trumpet of the Swan, and Lassie come to mind.


The boys and I finished reading this book last weekend and it was SO good that I just have to share...just to make sure that if you haven't read it...you do. It is a wonderful read a loud; short chapters, fun characters, and easy voices (remember my Lassie fiasco?). We could hardly put it down and read through it very quickly. Connor and Brody would beg for more each day, at every meal and and again at bedtime. The best part was that I enjoyed it too. We read a lot of great books through our school curriculum, but I always have an extra read aloud going as well. I borrowed this from a friend but went and bought it the day after I finished because I knew we needed to own this one. Sure enough, that night Connor started reading it on his own at bedtime. (I just knew he would do that)

Every time we read a good book, I usually think to myself; I hope I remember these characters and these situations when I need them. I hope that when I can use them in life lesson teaching around here, there they will be on the tip of my tongue and luckily because God knows me very well, He brought one quickly.

I was helping Connor to log onto the computer to play some Webkinz when I got a notice of a possible threat to the computer so I ran a quick scan and had to shut down and restart. He was absolutely stumped by all of this, especially when I introduced him to the term "hacker". He just kept asking me..."why would someone do that mom?" So, I thought of Botticelli who explained that a rats purpose was to bring other people suffering and we talked about how sad it is for some people that live in the "darkness of a dungeon" without light in their lives. They don't have a moral compass, and they block out God's voice that offers guidance on right and wrong.

So, thank you Kate DiCamillo for such wonderful characters...I just wish the comparison between the rats and people was much harder to get to!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, oh, man, I have to resist going to Amazon this second and ordering it! You're a good advertister. We'll read it soon! We're almost through the Little House series and I could use a change (the kids seem fine but I'm going a little nutty with certain things about those books).

Christy said...

Yay thanks for the good review. I am always looking for good books and I agree the movie I will skip to read the book. My imagination is way better than a movie ever makes out the story. ;)