Monday, August 30, 2010

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


This summer one of my goals was to share this story with my kids. I remember reading it when I was young and loved the story. I headed off to Borders to grab a copy after trying unsuccessfully to find a copy I wanted used at my usual favorite used bookstores. I wanted the older copy with the great illustrations that I remembered and the cover picture that looked like a big chocolate bar ripped open at the edge!!!




I had NO idea that just getting the copy I wanted would turn into the ordeal that it did! The lady there was very helpful but did not remember the one I was referring to. All the copies she had contained the artwork she remembered...(she was much much younger than me) which seemed more like cartoon drawings and the new movie version which I wasn't interested in either. I remember that little boy bending down when he found that dollar and the image was in my brain and it obviously had a strong impact!



So, when I realized that I would have to turn to the Internet, I went home and begun my search! I was surprised to find that the older copies can get quite expensive on ebay; all the way up over $500! I had a limit and was determined to not pay over $20 with shipping! After all, I am not a collector...I actually like old withdrawn library copies!



After a few weeks I lucked out and my precious book arrived!

Connor and Brody could not get enough and we devoured the story like we would a yummy Wonka chocolate bar! It was so fun and definitely a summer highlight for me!


Brody's favorite: My favorite part is the square candies that looked round because it is funny how he tricked them. My second favorite part was when the oompa loompa ate the hair toffee when the mixture wasn't right and grew the really long beard. I like all the characters the same because they are all funny!


Connor's favorite: Charlie is my favorite character because he is the hero of the book. He obeyed Willy Wonka and was given the chocolate factory. I liked that he was poor and still got into the chocolate factory. My favorite part is when he found the dollar on the street.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had that SAME version of the book. And I love it, too. I loved reading about you guys reading it!

momaof4 said...

We listened to it on CD this summer. I didn't read it when I was younger, and it was fun to hear it.