Sunday, January 9, 2011

Not so Nostalgic

Most of the time I want to think the OLD way of doing things is better, especially when it comes to kids. I have always like the "old fashioned" toys and games for them. I like books written in their original text and not abridged or changed by someone trying to make it better.


I have to say though....Words with Friends is one major improvement over the old Scrabble board! Connor used to beg me to play Scrabble with him and it felt about as much fun as cleaning the toilets. It seemed to take forever to get through a game and he needed my help so much it didn't feel like much of a game. Plus, Brody hated it so he was always restless. So, I did what any desperate parent would do and hid the Scrabble board under the couch for a few months!


Then, my friend Becca turned me on to an app called 'Words with Friends". It is just like Scrabble, but you play online. There is SO much to love about playing like this way. To name a few; you can go at your own pace and take your turn whenever it suits you, you can text with your opponent within the game, you can learn new words by just hitting submit and seeing what it takes, and it is a fun way to "play" a game with friends and family far away!

I recently had to take extreme measures and set Connor up on daddy's ipad with his own username because he was trying to get in on MY games and constantly grabbing my phone. He LOVES this game and truthfully I love him playing it. I have to admit here that he has beat me 4 times in a row and is on his way to a 5th victory. I find that quite embarrassing especially considering I don't in any way shape or form go easy on him, I pull out everything I can! However the bible tells me not to lie so there you have it.

He is currently playing games with me, Aunt Lara in Missouri and recently started a game with an old friend his age that lives in Vegas now. They are sending messages to each other and having a great time with it! We have a rule that when he uses a word he doesn't know, he has to make it a future vocabulary assignment by writing in his planner right away....works like a charm! I also have to say it is a great refresher in math basics as well. Why I can just see this being marketed as a full on "school subject" one day soon.

Also, an added bonus is that I have a new "privilege" that I can use as leverage! What a blessing.....

I don't think I will be pining over the old way any time soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a fan, too. Great post!

Funny you should discuss the old and the new. Joe and I pulled out the old version yesterday and played a game while I was sick on the couch. It was annoying because it took so long to take a turn and because John kept coming along and knocking all the letters off! Yay for the online version! And I'm so glad Joe and Connor are playing! I'll implement that "look up the words you don't know" policy!