Friday, January 14, 2011

Now for some Nostalgia!


Since I totally put down the whole Scrabble board game in my previous post, I feel the need to redeem the board game industry somewhat here. So, let me just say...we are having SO much fun with the old fashioned Monopoly! The boys got it for Christmas and boy has it brought back some serious memories. I remember playing this game many times over and it hasn't changed much at all. There is a new speed dice option which I might seriously look into soon. Although I have memories of playing it, they don't include hours on end of the never ending game! I'm sure I was much more patient in my younger years;)



The dollar amounts are small and easy for the kids to handle and they are old enough and have gone far enough in math that the game is actually fun for them too. When we opened the box it was the same feeling as finding some old friends on facebook. There was the hat, the boot, the dog and all the same old pieces! I do wonder what the reasoning is behind the game pieces, they do seem odd, don't they? Who even wants to be the iron or the thimble? I know I avoid those two at ALL costs! The board looks the same and I even researched some of the history and it hasn't changed much since a patent I saw in 1935 and it is the best selling board game in history. I wonder if they accounted for inflation, what the prices would be...that would be much higher math involved I am sure. So far, in the few games we have played, Brody has ruled the board. He is lucky and smart and it has been a good lesson for all of us in so many ways. It has been a chance for Connor to be happy when he is not the lucky one and for Brody to practice humility.



Adding to the nostalgia was another childhood memory. Yesterday while frantically getting from one side of Wal Mart to the other the boys found a real treasure in the office supply aisle. I mean a real "treasure box" they are calling it. After realizing that their wallets still had some money in the spending section it took a whopping 2 seconds to decide that it was a must have. The keys were what sold it and they were beyond thrilled with their purchase decision. Connor even came up to me later, pulled the keys out of his pocket and said...."mom I feel so important with these in my pocket." I remember how cool it is to have your first very own space and I was hit with another dose of how big they are getting and fast they are growing up. I remember a very small cedar chest with a small golden lock that had very similar magical keys to it. I loved that box.




Here is to your own memory making Connor and Brody and a picture for you to look back on one day. I wish I had a picture of my treasure box so I felt compelled to take this for you. I hope you love yours as much. However please remember along the way ...Matthew 6:20

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post, and good thinking to take the photo.
Love that he was excited about the keys.