Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thoughts on Self Control

So, here it is 16 days into my year of self-control so I felt an update was in order. Right off the bat, I found this definition which I love (and hate just a little too)....

Self Control is the instant obedience to the initial promptings of God's spirit.

I can't get that one out of my head. Since I read that, I have realized how true it is. How often my "battle" with self control takes way too many swings before I realize that I am in a fight. I am working on realizing just how many times I literally ignore the voice of God guiding me in all things, big and small, and I am shocked.

I have found comfort in the last few weeks knowing that God's spirit is real and present in my life when I listen, and saddened how quickly I can turn that off and turn it into a battle of what is really my own self will. I actually talk myself out of listening to God's spirit which is a whole different ball game than ignoring Him all together. That nudge is there...realizing it is step 1...now I want to focus on the instant obedience part of it!

This has been a very powerful lesson for me already. Not bad for day 16....God must know there is no time to spare;)

2 comments:

Christy said...

I love that and am going to write it in my bible. I to agree and struggle with that. Thanks for the update. :)

Unknown said...

Wow - if I could respond to that initial prompting 100% of the time, I wonder how different my life would look?