Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Finally First

It is tough being the second kid and Brody is no exception. It must be hard to rarely be "first" in something big when you have an older brother. Brody didn't get to ride his bike first, loose a tooth first, ride an airplane first, meet any family member first, read first, start school first or be the first one to graduate to a big boy high back booster car seat.

This morning Brody came up to me and got teary eyed as he said to me.....

"Mom, I'm the first one of your kids to get stung by a bee."

It was such a sweet moment and I just snuggled him and held him tight for as long as he let me, and he was absolutely right.

It happened yesterday here at the "old house" (as we call it now) when we were in the backyard pulling weeds and getting the yard ready because the owner put the house on the market today! It was a pretty traumatizing event because the boys were working together by a shed in the back and they saw a bee or two and started screaming then one went up Brody's shirt and stung his chest and one landed on Connor's shirt too. They were both absolutely hysterical and it took me a minute to figure out what is going on. Brody was as tough as could be expected because after all that does hurt! Poor Connor would almost cry just telling someone the story! I thought it was just a bee or two so after we got Brody fixed up and after I knew he wasn't showing any signs of any allergies, I went back out to tackle the rest of the yard work by myself. It was then I realized that there was a nest of them in a birdhouse on the shed and I had two fly into my hair. It was pretty creepy and the boys told me later that they had never seen me scream like that! They are still a little paranoid to go out and I don't blame them.

I know Brody will have more "firsts" but I doubt he will forget this one for a long time!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Poor Brody, I hope his next first will be a good memory.

I would be freaked out too with a hive in my backyard.

Unknown said...

Yikes! Poor guy. Glad he didn't have a reaction. Last time I got stung was in Yucaipa, and it sure does hurt.
How sweet that he realized he's the first. I'm with Beth, hope his next first will be WAY more positive than a bee sting.

Christy said...

Well darn, thats the kind of first we were hoping for buddy. Hang in there the next first will be a better one I am sure. :)