Saturday, May 2, 2009

Burn Baby Burn!

OK, so what it is with boys and fires? Last weekend when we were working on the house, Sammy and Titus came over and the boys were all building a pretend "fire pit" on the patio. It was quite cute and they were enjoying using their imagination, but then daddy decided they should get a real fire going! So, he built a little fire pit and they had a blast.








The next day we had someone come and mow down the disaster that was taking over our new place and we had our first burn pile. You know you are far out when you have to burn your yard waste! I have to say after living in Southern California for so long, the whole burn pile thing was pretty hard for me. You just leave it there...burning...and burning...and then smoking and smoking. Everyone assured me that the ground is so wet that there is no way it will spread but I couldn't help it. It just didn't seem right. I had a hard time sleeping the first night and was grateful when I saw the house still standing the next day! I was also grateful for homeowners insurance just in case! Here is our the remainder of our pile the next day...still smoking a little!










I can't believe the change in the place just mowing down all that growth! I can't believe we own all this!





Also, here was what the kitchen went through this week. Bryan worked SO hard to do the demo work and save us some money. He took care of the kitchen and the master bathroom this week. He was supposed to get 4 days off, but got called into work after 2, so he really did amazing getting it done! Now he will be busy at a big job he is working on at Portland airport so he won't be available for much more! I have been meeting with contractors and subs all week getting estimates for the work ahead! Hopefully Monday I start the permit process...we have to move in June 1st! I was hoping to already have the work started, but we will see. It will be a challenge to finish school for the summer, work on the new place, pack and get the this place ready this next month, it reminds me of what happened just last year!!! UUGHH! Hopefully I can do without the infection in my leg and I will feel one step ahead!





The boys were so happy to work and help daddy. They cleared out the drywall and tile pieces and took them to the dumpster we rented. They worked really hard.



What have we gotten ourselves into???

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like getting this glimpse of your life in Oregon. That fire thing would take some adjusting for me, too I imagine.
LOVE the demo pictures. It will be fun to see the "after" pictures, too.
Beautiful property, too - boy oh boy!

Beth said...

Suzie!!! I love your land. It is so green and pretty. I guess there's one reason to be thankful for all that rain. The boys looked so cute helping Bryan. I know my boys would have loved that too! What fun for them to know they are being a part of the renovation of their new home. I'll be praying that the packing and moving goes better than the last time. I'm looking forward to seeing many more pictures.

Christy said...

The land is beautiful! You did good girl. Cant wait to see the house all finished. Its funny cause if you see smoke here you call 911, 500 firefighters show up and it turns into a month long blaze that burns down half the town. Crazy! We only have a couple weeks of school left and we are slowly peetering out. I'm ready for a little lazy summer fun. :)