Friday, August 28, 2009

Fly Away

The boys and I just released our butterflies into the wide wide world. It was a great experiment and a good way to get me to improve in the area of science. Hopefully I scored some points here. Connor explained to his Grandma when we were in California that he thinks he "would like science more if I kept on a better schedule and did it more often!"

I have to say although it was fun, I thought the ladybug transform was more fun to watch and observe. Actually the ant farm was by far the best one so far, they were so interesting! I want to watch the frogs one day too! So much fun stuff to do!

Here are the last nature journals from the boys on their butterflies....Brody has been out of school too long, not wanting to write his own words! I'm a little bit of a summer pushover I guess:)








Here are a few pictures of their journey here. I forgot to take pictures when they came in as caterpillars..oops! One of the best parts was finally getting to see one eat before they flew away!












3 comments:

Joanna Christiansen said...

How cool! Did you collect the caterpillars or did you order them from somewhere?

Unknown said...

Looks like fun. I'm a little nervous. I have a kit still from when I homeschooled Joseph in Kindergarten and they want to do it now. I'm afraid they'll fry in the heat on the way here. Maybe a couple more months.

littlecbsmom said...

Joanna - I bought the butterfly house on clearance on wal mart, usually at the end of spring or summer you will find them. There is a certificate in there to send off for them, they come in a cup with food. Then they attach to a paper lid in there and that is what we took out! It is pretty cool, you should try it! You could probably get one through Sky Mountain or put the word out to borrow the house and order the caterpillars through insectlore! Good luck!