Thursday, August 20, 2009

What is a "life verse"?

This is a term that I hear often enough, but haven't given much thought to. There are a lot of verses I like, ones that I have framed in knick knacks, many stored on my heart and in my memory, and even more highlighted or underlined in my bible. I don't even know if I have a "life verse" and I imagine it could change as you grow over time.

Right now, though if I had to come up with one it would be 1 John 3:18. This isn't just a signature I have attached to my e-mails; it is truly a way I want to live my life, a legacy I want to leave. (plus it is short and easy to remember)

Dear Children, let us not love with words and tongue but with action and in truth.

I was imagining earlier this morning that it could be where the phrase "actions speak louder than words" might have come from. It is a call for me to action anyway. The paragraph starts out defining love for us (aren't we lucky) by reminding us that Jesus laid down his life for us and that is what we ought to do for our brothers. That is a pretty tall order, huh? At first glance I could focus just on the picture of Jesus giving up his physical body and dying on the cross. However I know we are not to think of just "taking a bullet for someone", (after all how many times does that really come up) we need to look at the life and death of Jesus to understand better. It is giving in life, and in the daily grind of our time here. I need to focus on his ministry and what he did and how he acted in the time he walked on the earth. In the next sentence we are asked this question....

"If anyone has material possesions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"

It is a call to give of our things, and our money to those in need. I try to do that.

It is also a call to action in many other ways to me...

To put others first
To be a servant
To be forgiving of those needing God's grace, including me:)
To be a wife and mom that honors God
To be kind even when I don't feel like it
To be polite to the person on the other end of the line
To be a helpful family member, friend and neighbor
To just do something and not say, "call me if you need anything" (this is one of my new goals in life)
To give people my time
To obey the commands even when no one is looking

Thankfully when I fall short, God picks me right back up, forgives me and encourages to me try again....like daily!

I realize that sometimes before I react to something, say yes or no to something, or think of a way to serve, this verse runs through my heart...maybe that is what a life verse is?

One that directs your every day decisions.

One more thing, this morning I read the verse after....

This then is how we know we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us.

Wow...a heart at rest in his presence...sign me up!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sign me up, too!
Good thoughts...

Beth said...

What a heartfelt post. You have such a gift with putting into words your feelings and thoughts.

Unknown said...

Great verse. I keep coming back to Romans 8:28- hindsight is always 20/20.