Wednesday, April 14, 2010

It Just gets Better!


I remember very clearly a conversation with a dear friend a few years ago about our little ones. Although her only son is only 9 months older than mine, when our kids were real little that amount of time is HUGE. Kim was always looking forward to the next stage and told me it just gets better! I remember feeling then almost an anxious feeling about each step when I became a mom. I felt like I would figure one out and feel like I was in a good groove, then I would realize how quickly things would change. I remember thinking what I am going to do with a kid who is 8!


I find myself with that 8 year old now and it is awesome!! I do love each stage and it really does seem to get better. It definitely changes and sometimes that change is hard, but now I feel like I have this little man in my life and I just adore him. I love so much about having a child at this stage; he is starting to cook for himself, he can find things in the car when I can't, I can reason with him and explain things that I never could before, and he displays this confidence that grows with each passing year. We have great talks now and I truly enjoy his company. Plus, let's face it the board games get way better!!
In the past few weeks, he has gone to a no back booster, received his first pocket knife and tomorrow will be taking his first school test administered by someone other than me. It is a wonderfully strange feeling to be parenting a boy and one that is just not so little any more. I think I have turned a major corner and instead of anxiety about the next step, I am now anticipating the next step because it really does just keep getting better!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I know, isnt it so fun!!! :) I look at Morgan now 9 and just think,"Oh she's so big and grown and beautiful!" I love that we laid in bed last night and talked about how she loves the Lord but finds it hard to tell people like she really wants to. Ahhhh, so sweet. :)

Unknown said...

I agree! It just gets better, for sure.