Tuesday, April 20, 2010

NOT for Children of All Ages!

I have to say that I am constantly amazed how our culture continously not only exposes to but actually markets completely inappropriate things to our kids.

I don't get on a soapbox to often here, but I can't get this out of my head, so I need to share it.


Last week the boys and I attended a local Shriners Circus which overall was highly entertaining. By far, the finale impressed the socks off all of us....two motorcycle riders in a big steel ball. My boys were literally on the edge of their seat with the thrill and also loved the dog show act.


I found myself continously shocked and disappointed though because of the poor taste in clothing that the female entertainers wore for the show. I don't understand how an attraction like that which markets to children can show such bad judgement and further more I don't understand the point! In my opinion they looked like they would of fit in more in a adult entertainment lounge than a family oriented children's circus! Low cut in the front, high cut in the back....well, you get the picture! Then throw about 50 hula hoops on them and watch them spin, put them in some high heels and add some gymnastics...and you really have a show....but for who??

I will admit when it comes to things like adult humor and violence at this stage in parenting, I am what is probably considered "extreme" in keeping that from my kids. I probably sound "extreme" here too, but I prefer my boys to be exposed to modesty modeled in women which I know will give them a healthier outlook and more respect for them later on in life. What is the point of them seeing things like that? I can see no positive.

I did walk away from there though completely amazed at the sheer amount of talent that the group had. When the whole cast came out, you realized how small it was and how many of them were involved in more than one act. I had some great thoughts running through my mind like....

Who was the first one to say....."Sure, a dog can do a handstand!"
Who thought of this one...."How about juggling with fire...yah that sounds like fun!"

I came away wanting to find a book on circus life and see how they live and am fascinated with what their lives might be like. I am curious about the ones that travel and live life on the road. Are they like a family? Are the other girls jealous of the girl that gets the center ring? How many hours of training are involved in pulling off the two hour show they put on for us? How do they really treat the animals?

I know that it isn't the same with each and every circus. I remember going to a local YMCA circus in Redlands California and I don't remember having the same negative experience. It was a fantastic show with incredibly talented young people. I just remember sweating with fear watching the performers so high up as I have a slight fear of heights myself!

So, I guess I will have to be aware and cautious next time I consider a family night out at the circus...what a shame.

3 comments:

The Turkington Family said...

You are hysterical...I will just leave it at that :-)

Aside from that, dispite your discust...thank you for supporting an amazing cause that my child will benefit from for the next 21 years of his life...even though you got your tickets for free!

Unknown said...

That is upsetting. I don't think you're extreme at all - and I don't understand their reasoning, either. Or maybe I do, but that doesn't make it any more okay.

Everything else about the show sounds fun - I especially liked hearing your thoughts about dog handstands and juggling fire!

Christy said...

I will say if you want to know about circus life you can come hang here for the week. ;) Just for the record our girls costumes are modest for shows. Oh and your not extreem.My kids tell me their friends watch Survivor, Dancing with the Stars and even shows on Discovery where I'm like, "noooo, they aren't dressed and they say words that you dont need to be familiar with." Such a drag.