Thursday, April 8, 2010

NO...You CAN'T Read now!!!





Boy do I feel like a horrible mom when I say this, but sometimes I just have to. Every day this seems to be our dialogue....




Me: "Boys...come on time to start school!" (enthusiastically said mind you)


Boys: "Can we PLEASE start with reading?" (a little whiny)


Me: "We really need to get going on some of our other language arts first, then you can do your reading."


Boys: "wwwwwhiiiiiiinnnnnnnneeeee"



Literally this happens almost every day. The only problem with them starting with their school assigned reading is that they will not stop!!! They are both a year ahead in their "readers" with Sonlight and they just can't put them down. They really do pick the best books, but there is never enough! I have to use it as leverage to get their other schoolwork done. What a problem to have!




Brody just starting reading chapter books a few weeks ago and is doing SO well comprehending what he is reading. They both discovered these Magic Tree House books and are gobbling them up! They are a real quick read for Connor as in on the way home from church, but they take Brody a little longer. Someone told me that they were good books and we had a few on the shelf so I pulled them down and they are loving them. Brody even explained to me after reading Dolphins at Daybreak how a pearl is made! They do have some magic and one I previewed had some ghosts but we have talked about it extensively and they know it is pretend fun. Today they took $25 that I got from selling some toys on craigslist to the Book Bin and bought 11 of them with that money. Of course Connor picked out his share in numerical order and he tried real hard to be patient with Brody when he picked out ones with titles that he likes with numbers all over the place! It was VERY cute!








The other day on the way home from piano they had a great conversation about another book they both read titled "Amazing True Dog Stories." I have to say it was kind of surreal hearing them in the backseat talking so grown up and sharing this experience. It made me realize how much my little ones are growing up!







Connor curled up with his LA reader, the famous...Henry and Ribsy!




I walked by their room and the other day and saw this and thought it was so precious. He just pulled his desk chair right up to the bookshelf! I also caught him reading by flashlight one morning when he woke up early and both of the little boogers were up until 10:15 reading the other night.




Brody will be sharing his very first book report at FIGS and he chose the first real chapter book he read called....Sheep and Goat (a gift from Aunt Ann & Uncle Max)! He has practiced it so much, he has it memorized and he wrote it all by himself using an outline I gave him! I got a clip of him doing a practice run!





6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love seeing kids into books and reading... LOVE it! And I love that you blog about yours so I can glean the book titles. I had forgotten all about some of the titles you mentioned (or that you have pictured). Joe loves Magic Tree House, too. If you're interested, there is a place online where you can print out a passport book and get a "stamp" for each Magic Tree House book read. Joe loves it.

Unknown said...

I love seeing kids reading and loving books, especially yours because then I get to glean lots of good titles! Joe loves Magic Tree House books, too. If you're interested, (and haven't already heard) there's a place online where you can print out a passport book for Magic Tree House places and get a "stamp" for each book read - Joe enjoys that.

Christy said...

Thats great! And yes you could have bigger problems. :) Its crazy how big and grown they are getting huh? I have to pause often throughout the day and really LOOK at my girls for fear I am going to miss something.

Christy said...

Ahh thats great and yes you could have bigger problems than them reading. :) Its crazy how big and grown they are huh? I have to pause often throughout the day to just really look at my girls so I dont miss anything. :)

Luke Holzmann said...

A love of reading is a beautiful and powerful thing [smile].

~Luke

ARMcR said...

Obviously, when I saw the title "Sheep & Goat" I couldn't resist opening it... and when I read it, I knew it would be perfect for Brody. Needless to say, I am thrilled that he has enjoyed it so much! There is nothing much more fun than finding the perfect books for my grandchildren, nieces, and nephews... unless it is hearing that I really did make PERFECT choices. ;-)