Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Are We Speaking the Same Language?

I could not even begin to list how many unfinished books I have on my shelves that fall in the "self help" category, that would include books on parenting as well. There is also a lot on my want to read list that I haven't even found yet. I started one yesterday that I have been real excited about and I think this one has the potential to make it into my finished within a month stack. It is called, The Five Love Languages of Children. When my husband and I were in pre marital counseling, our pastor; Pastor Don, recommended the book titled "The Five Love Languages" and we really enjoyed it. It made so much sense and seemed so easy...we could probably use a refresher course...BUT




My goal now is to figure out the primary love language of both my boys and it is harder than I thought it would be.




Anyone speak sheep?





Luckily I just read today that at age 5 is when you can really start to tell and Brody just turned 5 a few weeks ago so I am really right on target to try and get this right! So far, I have read the chapters on Physical Touch, Words of Affirmation, and Quality Time. I am wanting to just jump to end and figure out what language Connor and Brody primarily speak, but I am controlling that urge so I can learn as much as possible as I work through the whole book. After reading Quality Time I was a little convicted on using school time for a major part of our quality time. I think it can be real easy for me as a homeschool mom to blur that line and convince myself that I did "spend time" with my kids and a lot of it, but I know it goes beyond that.




So, I decided to pull out the whole, "Let's bake cookies, have fun, and make a huge mess in the kitchen!" As usual it was a big hit!












Then, we opened a birthday present that came in the mail for Brody from our friends the Loomis's is California! We then proceeded to spend about 1 1/2 hours putting together a Neo Shifter Lego guy that had what seemed like 500 pieces!! (My friend doesn't know this, but she just started a competition on who can give the present with the most pieces that requires the most time to assemble! HA! HA!)




So after all our Quality Time I gave them a big Physical Touch hug and high five and told them with some Words of Affirmation what a great job they did, how great I think they are and how much I love being their mom!
When I put to them to bed, Connor said..."mom thanks for helping us build that guy and for letting us make cookies." Maybe today I was speaking his language?


Now I am off to read through Gifts, and hopefully tomorrow on Acts of Service! Life IS Good!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to work in all the languages!

I have always wanted to read that book. I better get on it.

Beth said...

You had a very full day. But from Connor's response it was a good day!

Christy said...

ok, for $5 I wont tell Marianne what you said!! He,heee! Its funny cause Dan & I were just talking about our girls love language and how different they really are. Its fun trying to figure them out. Shoot, Dan just figured mine out after 12 years of marriage. :)