Monday, November 17, 2008

BEEP! BEEP!

I have to say that recently I had an entire week that reflected everything I did not want to be in a mom. I was stressed out and feeling very unproductive! The boys were fighting me on school time and I felt I just I could not keep up the house and all I had to do and wanted to do. So, in my mind I came up with a great solution to get Connor mostly on track with school and decided to start there since that is one of the most important things I do here. I mean if the bathroom doesn't get clean, it is gross, but not detrimental in the long term; unless....we were to catch some sickness from germs. OK, I won't even go there! I designed a checklist for Connor's daily activities some with school and some with just being a 7 year (almost) boy. I know that my first born is a lot like me and just knew that he would LOVE checking off boxes and seeing what is expected of him for the whole day! I also put together a rough draft of a schedule for our day so I could avoid the million dollar, "When can we play?" question! Well, I must say that day 1 has gone well and just as I predicted Connor thanked me over and over for his clipboard and liked feeling more in control of when he did what he needed to do! The sun came out after a thick morning fog and after lunch, even thought it was not one the new schedule, we chucked it and walked the dog to the park for some exercise, sunshine, and fun. (still working on that spontaneous thing)

Reflecting on the day, I also have to say that I realized the problem has been more mine because I was the one having a harder time with the new plan! I bought this really cool timer to help us stay on track or at least in the general area and to stop letting time fly by us. Let me tell you, doing 6 loads of laundry, cleaning 2 bathrooms, and vaccuming 3 rooms before the beep was harder on me than it was on them! My husband always says that I get distracted easily or as he puts it, "see something shiny" so it is no wonder things were going that way around here! The fault is mine and my boys win the prize of learning this lesson right along side me...poor kids, I hope they survive the rest of the week.

5 comments:

Beth said...

You're so funny. I hope the rest of your week gets easier from here. It is a great thought- the timer and all. I have enjoyed your blog. Thank you for the inspiration to start my own.

Unknown said...

You do have some great organizational techniques, and it sounds important that you're working on spontaneity. Yay for the timer to keep you from going after "shiny things". :)

Christy said...

oh thanks for making me laugh and maybe its the weather or something cause I've been going crazy too! Or wait maybe I am already crazy and its all down hill from here, or maybe I'm sane and you all are crazy..................I'll get back to you. I miss you friend, your crazy go to the light, smile and wave, likes shiny things and all! ;)

junglemama said...

The timer thing sounds like a good idea. I could probably beneift from using one.

littlecbsmom said...

Yes, this might make me sound even more anal, but it actually has a clock, a stopwatch, and 3 separate timers so you can "cook" 3 different things at once and a handy magnet to pop it right on the fridge!