Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Living History


Dear Connor and Brody,

Wow, it is pretty amazing to see American History come alive like it did last night, the first African American president of the US has been elected. As I held my eyes open and watched the news coverage last night of Barack Obama's victory to the white house I was amazed. I am not going to pretend to be a strong political person and truly have little to no understanding of the government and how it even works. I know that as I raise you, and teach you, I am yearning to learn more and am excited to go on that journey together. You should know that I have abused my right to vote in many years past and hope to show you the importance, the blessing that it truly is so that you don't make the same mistake.

So much of this election and the coverage has been on the color of his skin which is why it made history, however I can't help but wonder if that still isn't racist in itself? I am proud of this country and how far we have come since the civil rights movement, yet at the same time I don't think to many overlooked the color of his skin, I feel that is where so many stopped. I am excited that as we move forward in American History that you will see the begining of the fight for equality, to what so many see as the end and "justice served". People feel he represents hope and change and I saw so many emotions on peoples faces as the cameras scanned. I saw hope and praise that borders worship for what one person can do. I will be praying that Barack Obama and his administration will do nothing but good things for this country.

At the same time, you must know that I don't bank to much of my life, my personal day to day happiness on the government here in our country. The God that we serve is so much bigger than that and while respect for our president is deserved, true worship should remain with Jesus and who He is, what He overcame, and what He offers to everyone. He can change our today, our tomorrow and hold our eternal future in His hands. He can even change the past, and has in my mind and life which you will learn about when you are much older.

As time and history proceed forward, I hope that this change will be a positive one for you and your future. I am stunned that when I think, if he serves 2 terms, that Connor would be almost 15 and Brody would be 13 when a new president is elected. I wonder what it will be like for you to grow up in this time and wonder what history you will live in your lifetime here on earth. I pray that the ruler of this country guide it well, but more important to me is that the Ruler and Creator of the universe be real in your lives and guide you personally.


I love you,
Mom

3 comments:

Joanna Christiansen said...

Very well said, and thought out Suzie.

Unknown said...

I bet this blog and letters like you wrote will be so precious to your sons.
Funny, I thought about how at the end of Obama's first term, Joe will be 12! I wonder if that's a common thing: for mothers to do math like that?

Christy said...

very nive letter. Good job friend! My sentiments exactly. :)