Monday, January 25, 2010

Forced to Facebook?

I have not jumped on the facebook or twitter bandwagon. I do have a facebook account and it has been fun to find people on and get back in touch with a few old friends. I think if people want to post silly small things on it and others are interested, they should do that.

However....I have found that people are posting majorly important things on there and if I don't check it at least once in a while, I am missing out! For instance, it is through a chance check in on facebook that I learned of our dear missionary friends down in Mexico and the evacuation they faced due to floodwaters in the camp that could of destroyed their home. It is through another chance check that I learned of a pregnancy and then a miscarriage that happened in a friend's life. I am grateful that I did check and was given the opportunity to pray for both of these families, but it also has left me slightly frustrated! If you don't check at the right time, you can really miss out!

Please people....I do not like feeling forced to facebook! Stick to things like....craving a coffee, slept in to late, why did Brett Favre throw that ball?, colored my hair, it is raining, going to the store, and other unimportant day to day stuff!

Don't forget how to write a letter, send an e-mail or even....pick up the phone! If you really want to keep people "posted"....start a blog!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, sista!

Love the Favre comment!

Joanna Christiansen said...

Yes you must facebook! How is it different from me following your blog to see what's going on with you guys?

Christy said...

OK blogging is different cause it is kinda like on line journaling. We are writing a journal for friends and family. Facebook is crazy. Its people keeping count on this little counter thingy of how many friends they have and then plunking down two or three lines of,"lost my job today, marriage ended, oh BTW we are pregnant." It's like all these little details that people really want to tell 300 of their closest friends? Come on! And I am so tired of hearing from someone else that they heard this from so and so's facebook and couldnt beleive it or were so sad but did they do anything about it? *Sigh* My venting here is done. Let the lashing from Facebook junkies begin........go ahead I can take it. We are a dying breed Suzie a dying breed I tell you.