Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Map Skills????

One of the huge downsides to homeschooling for me is the "burden" I sometimes feel. In reality is a HUGE responsibility but there are days when I just question everything. Will I teach them everything I should? Am I covering all the subjects? When should we do that? What if I miss something?

It came up that a friend in private school, in the same grade as Connor has a lot of map skills for social studies assignments. I realize that I spent days mildy "stewing" over this. We study a lot of geography but as far as actually using a map we haven't done any of that, so some feelings of inadequacy and worry crept in.

I am happy to report that I have resisted to urge to head to Rainbow Resource and order the latest, greatest map skills curriculum to feel good about my homeschool plan! I realize that I usually only feel bad when I compare to what others are doing which can be healthy and also dangerous at the same time. For me, mostly dangerous. It has helped me though to re focus on what is really important and why I have started this journey in the first place. I have to come to the conclusion that there WILL be things we miss, but I pray it is the little things like map skills. I want to keep my focus and my worry on the big things like teaching a life centered on God's word, instilling a strong moral compass for my kids and raising kids that can care for themselves and others. I have to remember that the "academics" are only a part of why we homeschool and then I take a deep breath and just pray...

Besides, really...have the schools not heard of GPS?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tee-hee. I agree. GPS solves all our problems. Why can't we get away with the same logic when it comes to math skills and calculators???

I remember doing map stuff in school and it seemed very redundant. Really, it's not so hard that most of the important skills couldn't be taught with a common atlas in one afternoon.

OR - we have A-Beka Map Study Skills stuff and it greatly reminds me of the stuff I did when I was little. WAY too easy for Joe, really.

Christy said...

I hear you its so hard. I have days where I am comparing the girls to kids in school or freaking out cause we cut out a little early to have lunch with friends but then I just remind myself they are just fine and will get it all eventually and probably at different times than other kids and thats OK. Oh the pangs of a hs mama. ;)

Joanna Christiansen said...

Hey our curriculum includes map skills and it is really boring! I don't think your kids are missing out on anything important. They will get it eventually.