Thursday, January 14, 2010

Writing Assignments

I just have to share two assignments that were done by my boys today in school.

Brody was given a journal writing task. He has done many of these and usually whenever he is writing something he will ask me how to spell each word he doesn't know or think he knows. I know there are people that think you should just let them write, but I have also read that you should never let them write a word wrong thinking it is OK because that could get stuck in their minds. So, I have decided to play it safe down the middle...so much for consistency. Anyway, today I encouraged him to just write and show mommy when he was done. He wrote the sweetest entry all by himself and was SO proud! I believe it to be priceless! I hope it shows up...


























Now, onto Connor's....

His writing project this week was to write a persuasive letter which he found to be very exciting. We first brainstormed a list of potential topics, all of them being in the category of something mom and dad won't let him do that he thinks he should. A few of his topics included double dessert and riding without a car seat. When I explained to him that he had to come up with valid reasons why we should let him do what he picks he chose this one...


"I think we (so cute that he includes Brody) should be allowed to stay up until 10:00 on Fridays."

This is what he came up with and I have to say....he sold Daddy on it at dinnertime:) I'm guessing we can expect many persuasive letters in the future...mmmmmm.


I just love it when they get excited about an assignment and it made my day today!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE it!!!
Those assignments are both definitely keepers.

Joanna Christiansen said...

You are doing such a good job with your boys! I love seeing their writing. I do get a little pang of regret that Elijah's writing skills are not that good. They all have their strengths and weaknesses though, right?