Monday, January 18, 2010

Heart Change

I had a major breakthrough today. I realized something very important along my mothering journey and that is that...






I AM a great mom....













WHEN things are easy.....





I have to admit that I have had it pretty easy with my boys. I know I am not anything special as a mom, God just gave me good kids. That is SO true, but I have had to really buckle down and do some parenting these past few weeks and let me tell you it is NOT easy! I realized over the past few weeks that I wanted to be lazy, shovel out some consequences and move on. However, God has laid on my heart the more important goal....raising those adults and turning these "issues" into teaching moments to reach their hearts and change the reason for the behavior and not just the behavior. I have seen actions in my kids that break my heart but also am honored to witness their desires to please God. I have learned that at times I sail through this job without relying on the wisdom of the one who created them and lean on my own understanding which left me hopeless and frustrated.



So, we started praying together, for each other, and really talking about how they were treating each other. We talked about putting another first and the sin of selfishness. We tried to identify the root causes of being unkind to one another and the boys looked up and memorized verses to help them when they struggle.



A fool gives full vent to his anger but a wise man keeps himself under control. Proverbs 29:11 was Brody's.



Connor chose; Watch and pray so you will not fall into temptation, the spirit is willing but the body is week. Matthew 14:16



The amazing thing is and the reason I write this is because not only have they stopped arguing but they have done a complete turnaround in the way they treat each other. On their own, they have started doing random acts of kindness for each other such as making each other's bed, getting them something without asking, giving up the coveted "stool", sharing precious items, and turning down beds at night! They are almost arguing to let the other go first which is kind of cute:) (for now anyway)


"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think."
Ephesians 3:20, NLT

I hope that these past few weeks will serve as an example and a reminder how different I parent when I turn to God and His word and focus on the heart of my kids. I love seeing them show kindness because it is what God word tells us to do and not just because they don't want to loose a privilege or a toy.

I know that having two boys 23 months apart will make this a reoccurring theme and lesson and I will continue to pray for the friendship growing between them. I hope they always see each other as the gift from God they are to me and to each other.

1 comment:

Christy said...

You ARE a great mom. You are patient, kind and with two boys possible long suffering......OK totally kidding!! :) I think 2 girls is WAAAAYYYY harder. I mean think of all the bench presses I am going to have to do to beat off the boys who come along. Hang in there friend you are doing a great job and you lead by example which is priceless.