Monday, October 4, 2010

Not a Bad one in the Bunch!


Last night we finished reading together "The Cricket in Times Square" and Connor's comment was to me, "mom I don't think there has been one Sonlight book that I haven't liked, they are all good." I am happy to have such a tremendous resource in Sonlight and I just really enjoy the times we share together with the Read Alouds.


Last week Connor, Brody and I finished a great book, that I have to mention here. It is called "The Door in the Wall" by Marguerite De Angeli and we all really enjoyed it. We had been studying knights, castles and the Middle Ages and this was a wonderful way to end that part of our lesson. It was only made better by this wonderful one my friend gave to me as she knows I love old books! I adore this copy that seems to have been printed in 1949 and pulled from the library shelves of School District No. 42 in Benton County. The price on the jacket boasts a $2.50 price for a hardback book. I love that it was obviously enjoyed by so many and I am sure a bright new copy took it's place on the shelves.



The illustrations are wonderful and it is at the top of my list of "favorites"! The best part is the story and the lessons and how a young boy could relate to the main character, Robin. It is wonderful for asking..."What do you think YOU would do?" Oh, and how easy to discuss true character and fruits of the spirit when given so many wonderful characters! Robin is an excellent role model for any young boy in my opinion demonstrating true courage. We had some wonderful discussions around this book and it is one I will not soon forget. It asks us to identify "walls" that come up in our own lives and what "doors" we seek out and find our way through. This is one to keep, treasure and enjoy over and over again!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are one of my best sources of titles! Thanks!
That book looks wonderful - I mean the edition of it that you received.