Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This is only a test....


This year I had a brilliant idea for Brody's birthday. His birthday was Monday and will receive a separate posting soon;)


Each year we offer Connor and Brody a big choice when their birthday rolls around. They get to choose between a party with friends or a present. We have explained how expensive it can be to have a party for kids these days and that if they want a party that IS the present and it has been a real good strategy for us. This year Brody chose a present. He said parties are crowded and there is "you know mom all those people". If you know Brody, I'm sure you are chuckling right now.

I thought long and hard and came up with the perfect present....a bunny! Brody has been wanting a real sheep for a very long time but he is just so little. He really seems to want to take care of animals and I see a 4-H club or two in his future, but I am tired of telling him "when you get a little older". So, I felt a bunny would be a great "test" to see how he can handle the responsibility of an outside pet that requires quite a bit of care. I quizzed him a few months ago and asked if he couldn't have a sheep what other animal would he want and he said that a bunny would be really close to a sheep.

So, we are now a 3 pet family...dog, cat, and now the cutest little Holland Lop bunny you have ever seen!

We had to spill the beans early because daddy decided to build the hutch and it took up the garage for a few days. Also, I wanted him included in picking out just the right bunny for him. He was SO precious going to Petsmart and spending birthday money and a gift card on all the "stuff" that his new pet requires, and we found a breeder in Turner that was so helpful. The hutch came out great and Saturday night we picked up the newest member of the family, Dusty.






He is a real good bunny with a great temperament. He is not aggressive or shy and has a great personality. He comes to the cage when you go to the door and will sit for ever and let anyone pet him.

So far we are only on day 3 but it is going good and the honeymoon isn't over yet! We even got him an exercise pen and he is learning to put it up and down and get him out of his cage for exercise and fresh grazing. (Did I mention they are quite a bit of work?) I do think it will be great for him and he is so excited. I think it will be a good lesson to teach responsibility beyond the cat and dog and it is fun to see him so excited.




Here is his first night in his new home.

We learned quickly how much he loves clovers!

Today, he got to practice picking him up and holding him which of course was a very big deal. That bunny just snuggled right up to him.

I am thrilled that he loves his present this year and will update how the happy couple is doing;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks so sweet. What a great gift, and I agree that he has 4H and probably a real sheep in his future, too.
I'm not even a big animal lover and I can still see how wonderful that must be for him.

Beth said...

Dusty is very cute. Brody looked so proud holding him.

I love the letters your boys wrote to God and all of Connor's journal entries.