Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pillow Talk


I thought my mom's whole purpose was to be my mom. That's how she made me feel. ~Natasha Gregson Wagner

I love this quote and have probably mentioned it many times before. Most likely it is to remind myself to slow down and pay more attention or sometimes I pull it out to beat myself up when I am feeling really crummy about my ability to parent these two young children God has trusted me with.

Tonight though it comes to my mind and I long to capture some special moments with Brody . I do get busy, there are many things grabbing my time and attention. I hope more often than not it is my kids, but I admit I fall very short. I think all the time about regrets that I don't want such as...

"I should of read that story even when I was tired or played that game when there was laundry to do. I should of just played hooky from school and pulled out the board games."

Brody has started asking me to lay in bed with him at night when I go to tuck them in. I have to admit, it makes me sleepy, and that is why I find it hard to do sometimes. The evenings have been a very productive time for me lately and it is hard to bounce back after laying down and being read to, then laying in the dark to top it all off! However, he seems to really treasure these moments with me as much as I do with him. He is cuddly, sweet, and affectionate and even tells me, "I like it when you lay with me mommy." So, each night I am home I have decided that I will spend this time no matter how I feel or what I think I have to get done. It can all wait and these are important moments that I will never get back. Just last night we discussed some great things ....

"Mommy....if someone was going to turn you into a motorcyle which part of you would be the wheels? How about the horn mommy, and the handlebars and the...."

"Mom...what are contacts for and why do you wear them when you don't have your glasses on?"

"You know I couldn't feel my first loose teeth because my permanent were already coming in Mommy, but now I think I will."

I don't know where or why this came up but thank you God that my little boy wants to spend this time with me, I know that he will be all grown up before I know it. I will treasure these nights and enjoy every minute and I thank you for blessing me with this incredible gift. I hope it gives him some sense of feeling so loved that he feels for that time he is my whole purpose.

2 comments:

Christy said...

ahhhh thank you for that friend. So sweet and such a good reminder to treasure those moments that will soon be just a memory. As Morgan gets ready to turn 10 in Feb. I feel my heart starting to grab on and hold on tight to these last few little kid years.

Unknown said...

Awwww.