Saturday, December 4, 2010

Bye Bye Better Home....I will miss you

I have made a decision to let my subscription cancel to the magazine Better Homes and Gardens. I have to say that I LOVE this magazine and it has been a truly agonizing decision.



However, I have stacks of them tucked in secret places waiting for me to get to them. I have a file with pulled out pages of great ideas, and wonderful decorations that no matter how hard I try, I can't recreate. Truthfully, I am just not a Better Homes kind of girl.



Yes, I have pulled a few great recipes such as a garden fresh chicken pasta salad and a huge hit with the boys; banana chocolate chip muffins. But overall, that is it. Mostly I just look through them and feel a sense of frustration.



Frustration, that I would never find that or make it look that good even if I did.

Frustration that I don't want to spend the time or money to make things such as napkin rings that would look out of place in my home.

Frustration that turning an ordinary oatmeal container into some extravagant gift package just seems like too much work.

Frustration that the plants and flowers they name are never at Home Depot.



So, I am saying goodbye. If I feel withdrawls, I might reconsider. If I get through my current stack, I might reconsider. If I have a moment of weakness where I feel incredibly crafty, I could reconsider.



But for now, it is goodbye. My home might not be a "Better Homes and Garden Home" but it is mine and for now, I will spend some time in that contentment. After all it was my word for the year and this magazine did NOTHING to promote that for me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! I got a free subscription and I think it works against contentment. I think MANY magazines do that. Even Real Simple. Real Simple just complicates my life, so I don't subscribe. But I've been known to buy one copy for a trip now and then.
More power to you. The next step will be when you throw out your old issues.

Christy said...

Your cracking me up. I thought I was the only one who pined away for a magazine to come every month. :)