Thursday, December 16, 2010

What would you miss?



Almost every morning as I make my way out to the kitchen, I am greeted with a dirty coffee cup on the counter. In the earliest days of my current position as "home maker" this would most likely cause an argument or at least a deep discussion. As a matter of fact I recall clearly one of those such "discussions" where I remember throwing out very valid arguments about how I am "not respected" and treated like a "hotel maid" over dirty socks.



Well, I have grown up a lot since then and have come to see it very differently. It hit me very hard one day....



I WOULD MISS THIS IF HE WERE GONE!



It tells me that while I was sleeping all warm and cozy in my bed, my husband got up way before the crack of dawn to start his day. He enjoyed a few cups of coffee in this cup while probably checking the news and sports scores (during football season). He prepares a fire for the boys and I, so we are comfortable as we start our day. He then makes his way to work where he gives his all to the company he works for so I can be home with our kids.

Honestly, I don't know why the cup can't make it to the sink, or even in the dishwasher, but I don't care. I like it there telling me "Good morning" every day since I don't see him before he leaves!

I know my husband respects me and appreciates everything I do for our home and I respect and appreciate everything he does for this family. As a matter of fact, I recall the turning point for me. The kids and I had taken a long trip over the summer and he was left here to work. After about 3 days, he called me and said so sincerely something to this effect....

"Honey, I am such a slob....thank you for all you do around here."

He really isn't a slob at all, we just have a system that works well for us. I know that if I asked him to put the cup in the sink or even the dishwasher he would, but I like doing it for him. I like it there for the reminder it serves and I have chosen to see it as one of the reasons I love him so much. I realize how sad and lonely I would feel if it were not there one day and that is a another huge Reality Check for me;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post. What a good perspective. There is a coffee cup on my bathroom counter right now that perhaps I will rethink. :)

Kindra said...

So, so true. Thanks for the reminder. We do sometimes take our hubbies for granted, but my heart aches for those who lost their's, either to divorce or death and even hubbies who are deployed in the armed forces. We are blessed.

Christy said...

Yes thank you for that reminder. There are so many things I would miss if Dan were not here. When he is gone for days it is always a great reminder to me that it would be a huge hole in my heart and life if he didnt return.