Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reality Check

I have often felt very unique this day and age to say that I have never watched the mega hit reality television shows that have become so popular. Shows like Survivor and American Idol hit the home screens and has been a "sensation" ever since. Of course since I breathe and live in the United States I can't help but know of some of them such as The Biggest Loser and Jon and Kate plus 8, but they have never interested me to devote any time to them.


However.....recently one show peaked my interest. I have had many people mention the show, "Undercover Boss" and I was intrigued enough to set the recorder on a few episodes to see for myself. I actually enjoyed it. I stayed up way too late actually watching two episodes in a row one night. I went to bed really feeling like I enjoyed the show and had many warm fuzzy feelings for all the great stuff that happens at the end. If you have seen it, you know what I am talking about.


I couldn't wait to watch my next episode so one night after Bryan went to bed, I warmed up my cozy, got in the chair and grabbed the remote. My anticipation level was high and I was eager to spend some time with my new friends and what felt like my new guilty pleasure.


Then it hit me. That "first date" feeling was already gone. These shows aren't real. There is way too many similarities in each of the episodes to not be scripted and rehearsed to a huge degree. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled at what they do in the end, and it seems they find some hard working people that deserve it. It still has some feel good moments in it, and is quite entertaining. I loved it when a CEO actually got fired from a job driving a shuttle bus, and when another CEO was belittled with a timer as he assembled a sub sandwich. But, overall...the excitement is gone for me, but it sure was fun while it lasted. If I was sick with fever laid up on the couch, I might enjoy an episode or two again;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the one show that we DVR, but it is because Kevin likes it. I watch it with him sometimes, but I know what you mean about it being formulaic. I'm not entertained anymore. And I am with you on not being into any other reality shows, either. We're culturally unique, of course, but I'm okay with that.

Christy said...

I hear you sister! I wont stay up for any show. I never know what anyone is talking about when they talk about the latest shows that are on. I would rather curl up with my book. :) I do however watch the amazing race when Dan is home cause I love to travel and I love a good race. :) But really I could take or leave most things. OK wait Sara Palin's Alaska has been good when I've caught it cause I am learning all kinds of new things about that state. Amazing stuff. :)

The Turkington Family said...

You're hysterical! To consider a TV show like a first date is something I have never thought of before! I am proud to say we LOVE Undercover Boss and Survivor and The Amazing Race and The Biggest Looser and The Office and Outsources...and so on. Oh yeah...and we don't like reading...lol!