Tuesday, December 7, 2010

First Sex Talk..............Check!

Believe it or not, my kids have never asked where babies come from! This has surprised me more and more as I hear other moms talking about the questions their children are asking them, and how much they want to know.

I ordered a book a while back as I knew it would be coming up soon, but of course I can't find it, so I borrowed a stash of books from a friend and picked one to introduce the topic. I decided that I needed to get the conversation going before the neighbor kid did. After all he recently taught them what a wedgie is, how to "call" your place, and how to look like you are picking your nose without actually doing it. I feel it was only a matter of time.

So, we cuddled up yesterday morning after doing our reading in Prince Caspian and our conversation started like this.

Me: Have you ever wondered where babies come from? How you were made?
Connor: Nope.
Brody: Yeah, I have wondered that.

Well...okay then, here we go! So, we read the book titled "How Did God Make Me? The Miracle of Birth" and it went really well. Very uneventful actually. Then we all made our fingerprints because the book discusses how God makes each one of us unique even with our own set of fingerprints so that was fun.

However, the best part was that when I talked about the miracle of the birth of Jesus...a HUGE massive light bulb went off with Connor and he said in that very familiar tune...."Now I get it!" It is amazing how much information we throw at our kids that they don't get right away. So much of it comes in bits and pieces and I am happy that the timing of our first "sex talk" was around Christmas. He understands that the "daddy part" came from God himself, and a little bit more understands the miraculous birth of our Savior! He is now connected with a huge part of The Christmas Story.

I believe it was perfect timing.

I'm sure Brody got it too, but he was also pretty interested in the role of the belly button, and that the mystery of that body part has finally been revealed.

I guess our next talk will have to be how the mommy and daddy parts come together, but I'm sure that is down the road and I will pray that the neighbor kid holds off until I'm ready.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the neighbor kid issue. We all have that in some form.
I'm right about in the same place as you --- no questions yet about how the actual act happens. And Cayna is much more inquisitive than Joe.

Christy said...

My kids are not particularly interested either. We have little tid bits of conversations here and there but I am content letting them ask as they grow. I did have to have the "period" talk with Morgan after a teenage girl moved in and I thought she would be traumatized. Instead she said,"yuck, glad I have a few years!" Love it!

The Turkington Family said...

Great Job Suzie! You are such a good Mom, especially to have this talk even though no one had asked. Rachel asked LONG ago and I shared as much as I thought she needed to know and she was satisfied. Jaxon on the other hand couldn't care less...lol :-) Maybe it's a boy thing.

ARMcR said...

Love it! Next time you're in St. Louis, be sure to ask me to tell you the aftermath of Katie's first Girl Scout camp-out as a young 3rd grader. ;-)