Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Beloved Box

I have to say that I am not a big fan of shopping. I know it not typical with me being a girl and all, but I just don't like it. It seems that whenever I have the money and go to buy something I can never find it, and when it is not in the budget....BOOM there it is. So, I am not a big fan. One of my favorite things to shop for however is home school curriculum. I think most fellow home school moms are addicted or become addicted. It quickly becomes a passion to see what it out there and trying to find the best thing for your child to learn and love.

I decided recently that one way I could save money is to try and buy some things used. Well, let me tell you...I am not real good at it. Maybe because I don't have the true shopping gene, I don't know. Every time I saw what I wanted, it seemed I couldn't get it at the price I wanted or someone had beat me to it by 30 minutes, or it was the wrong edition. I realized after a good week on the internet that I can't do it for things I need now or real soon, that is way to stressful! I have to be more prepared and keep my eye on the next good bargain. Now, having said that I did end up finding a few things at good prices, just not items I need to start the 2nd semester with.

So, today...it showed up. My beloved box from Sonlight! I have to say I get a little giddy opening up and going through everything...it is a sickness I tell you. The whole world stopped while I eagerly put together our new history schedule and lined all the new books up so they are ready for the next few months of school! It is just so exciting. Now that I think about it, I should of scheduled a teacher prep day instead....but then I would of had to wait and that just can't happen! I am so impressed with Sonlight and excited by the books we will be diving into on Monday morning.

I told Bryan, that I will focus on selling it when I am done and save the money by getting some back! It is amazing how this stuff holds it retail value! I already sold two things that I finished with and was so excited. I also am going to try and get all of our read alouds from the library and hopefully I can work out the timing!

I just can't wait....I hope Connor and Brody are just as excited!

3 comments:

Joanna Christiansen said...

I totally understand your excitement. Its like Christmas! You should let me know what stuff you are looking for. People have been bringing stuff to parkday and you know we have the curriculum exchange so if I see something you need or would like I can grab it for you and mail it up to you. I know Sonlight it pretty complete though.

IE Mommy Blogger said...

Ok, we need to talk because I am totally unhappy with Abeka. Not because it's hard (as people said it would be). IT's not hard to my girls...it's boring! I get bored teaching it so i know they are bored listening. Plus, it is created for a class room setting....so I need some of your expert guidance. Give me a call soon so I can pick your brain!!! :)

Unknown said...

So fun! Glad you had a good time going through all of it, and glad you found some solutions for the shopping issues.